Some Videos in IE9 won't play -- But only for 1 Specific User Account

This problem occurs on a Windows Vista system that's setup with 3 user accounts.  User #1 is an Admin account.  User #2 and User #3 are Limited accounts.  Most video links play OK on this system for all three users.  But some videos won't play at all.  The videos that won't play appear as an all-black rectangle on the webpage (no video, no sound, nothing).   The problem shows up though with only one specific user -- User #2.  The same videos play OK for both User #1 (the Admin account) and User #3 (the other Limited account).

An additional symptom is that the problem occurs for User #2 only when trying to play these videos with Internet Explorer 9.  If the user switches over to Google Chrome instead of IE9, the videos play OK.

Here's a couple links to two short sample videos that exhibit the problem:

Just for comparison, here's a couple links to two other sample videos that work OK for User #2 in both browsers (both IE9 and Chrome):

I've already gone into Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced; and done a full Reset of Internet Explorer settings for User #2 -- including the "Delete Personal Settings" option.  But it has not fixed the problem.  I'm thinking that there must be some other user-specific settings for Internet Explorer that I'm missing; but I just don't know where to look.  Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem might be here?

Question Info

Last updated May 1, 2018 Views 201 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Tom,

When you experience problems playing videos in Internet Explorer, these problems may be caused by a number of different issues. Most video playback uses Adobe Flash, Microsoft Silverlight, or Java, and these platforms require Internet Explorer add-ons in order to play.

Let us follow these methods and check the status.

You may run this Microsoft Fixit and check the status.

Fix Internet Explorer issues to make IE fast, safe and stable: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/ie_performance_and_safety/

Alternatively, you may turn off hardware acceleration and check the status. To turn off hardware acceleration, open Internet Explorer for the desktop, click the “Tools” button, and then click “Internet Options”. Click the “Advanced” tab, select “Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering”, and then click OK. You must close and reopen Internet Explorer for changes to take effect.

Additional Information.

Videos won't play or webpages don't display correctly: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/videos-dont-work#ie=ie-9

Videos won’t play in Internet Explorer: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2532294/en-us

Reply with the status of the issue and we will be glad to offer our assistance.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Srimadhwa,

I changed the Advanced setting "Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering" already.   I've tried it both checked and unchecked; but it doesn't help.

I tried to use the Fixit (http://support.microsoft.com/mats/ie_performance_and_safety/) that you suggested; but when I try to run it, I get the following error:

=====

(X)  We're sorry, you do not have the correct permission to run this program.

This program does not support the 'Runas' feature.  To resolve this problem,

log onto Windows as an administrator or as a user who has administrator

level credentials.

=====

Although I could log on as the Administrator user (User #1), I did not do that; since User #1 isn't having this problem.  The problem only occurs for User #2, which is a Limited account.

Please advise how you think I should proceed in this case.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Tom,

You may try to convert that limited account into admin account and run the Microsoft Fixit. Once that is done you can reconvert that account into Limited account.

Here are the steps:

1. Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts and Family Safety, clicking User Accounts, and then clicking Manage Another Account.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2. Click the account you want to change, and then click Change the account type.

Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Srimadhwa,

I did as you suggested (temporarily changing the user Account Type to Administrator); and I was able to then run the Fixit.  Fixit did find and correct one item.  It found that DEP (Data Execution Prevention) was disabled.  So, it went ahead and re-enabled DEP.   Unfortunately, that did nothing to fix the problem with playing the problem videos.  And all the other items that Fixit checked appeared to be OK.

Any other ideas?  Could there be some Registry setting that's involved here?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I would like you to create a new user account and check if that helps.

Create a user account: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-vista/Create-a-user-account

If the issue does not occur in the new user account, then you can transfer the files from the affected or corrupted user account to new user account using the "Fix a corrupted user profile" article.

Fix a corrupted user profile: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

I already know that creating a new user account would eliminate this problem -- at least for the new account that gets created.  If you refer back to my original post, I said that:

=====

"The same videos play OK for both User #1 (the Admin account) and User #3 (the other Limited account)."

=====

However, creating a new account is not a viable solution for me.  This problem has happened more than once, on more than one system.  I can't resort to creating a new account and transferring over files and program settings each time this problem occurs.  It's important to actually locate the source of the problem; so that I can go in and surgically repair it (i.e., modify or delete the user-specific setting that's causing the issue).

I'm asking for your help here with determining what user settings might prevent Internet Explorer from being able to play these certain videos -- whether those settings are in the browser, or the Registry, or possibly some other configuration file.  It's really important to be able to fix this issue without resorting to a "nuclear" option like creating a whole new user account.

What user-specific settings would affect video playback within Internet Explorer?  What is different between the two sets of video samples that I provided?  Why is it that video samples "A" and "B" exhibit this problem; while video samples "C" and "D" play just fine?  What is it that's different between the A-B videos and the C-D videos?  There must be some way of troubleshooting this problem -- and identifying what's causing the issue.  I'm just hoping to get some guidance as to where I should be looking.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Tom,

Please follow these steps on the affected user account and check if this helps.

Try to re-register the Internet Explorer .dll files.

To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
  2. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
  3. At the command prompt, type the following lines, and then press ENTER after each line:

regsvr32 softpub.dll
            regsvr32 wintrust.dll
            regsvr32 initpki.dll
            regsvr32 dssenh.dll
            regsvr32 rsaenh.dll
            regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll
            regsvr32 sccbase.dll
            regsvr32 slbcsp.dll
            regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll

1. Click OK when you receive the message that DllRegisterServer in FileName succeeded.

Type exit to close that window.

Restart the computer and check the status.

Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Srimadhwa,

I tried to follow your instructions here for re-registering the IE DLL files; but I ran into a problem.   The regsvr32 command succeeded for only 5 of the 9 files that you listed.   The 5 files that re-registered successfully were as follows:

• softpub.dll, wintrust.dll, dssenh.dll, rsaenh.dll, cryptdlg.dll  <--- These 5 re-registered OK.

The 4 files that failed to re-register were these:

• initpki.dll, gpkcsp.dll, sccbase.dll, slbcsp.dll <--- These 4 FAILED to re-register.

Each of the 4 files that failed did so for the same reason.  They all failed with this error message:

======

| The module "[DLL filename]" failed to load.

|

| Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or

| debug it to check for problems with the binary or

| dependent .DLL files.

|

| The specified module could not be found.

======

Despite the failures, though, I still restarted the system; and checked to see if the 5 files that did re-register successfully had any effect on the problem.  Unfortunately, there was no change.  The two sample problem videos ("A" and "B") still won't play in Internet Explorer for this one user account.

It appears that the 4 files that I was unable to re-register are simply not located anywhere on the system's hard drive.  I checked all folders -- not just C:\Windows\System32.  But I didn't find those 4 files anywhere.  I'm guessing that these missing files aren't relevant to this problem, though; since the other 2 user accounts can play the video samples just fine.

Please let me know what else I can check.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I would suggest you to perform SFC scan and check if that helps. The SFC /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

For more information how to do SFC/ scan on Windows Vista and Windows 7, please follow this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Reply with the status to assist you further.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Srimadhwa,

I ran the SFC command as you suggested; and it appears that there were problems found and corrected.  Here's the full text of the information that the SFC command reported back to me, as it appeared in the Command window:

=====

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
      Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
      Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired
      them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
      example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

The system file repair changes will take effect after the next reboot.

C:\Windows\system32>

=====

In case you want to examine it, I uploaded the CBS.log file to my SkyDrive.  Here's a link to it:

http://sdrv.ms/16KNb3i

After I restarted the system, I went and re-checked the Problem Video Samples -- "A" and "B" -- which are listed at the beginning of this thread.  The good news is that Video Sample "B" now plays OK.  So whatever SFC found and repaired, it appears to have at least fixed that one problem.

The bad news though is that Video Sample "A" still won't play using Internet Explorer.  (However, it continues to play OK when using either Firefox or Chrome.)  So, even though running SFC provided a partial fix, it hasn't completely corrected the issue.

We've made some progress here.  Do you have any other recommendations as to what I can check next?  Please let me know.

Sorry this didn't help.