Reinstalling IE8 on Windows 7

My original problem was in uninstalling IE9. It doesn't play nicely with my password protect program. After many attempts, I finally succeeded using the command prompt "FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*9.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart" Now I have no Internet Explorer at all, and when I try to install IE8, I get a message that IE8 isn't compatible with Win 7. Come on, this computer came with IE8 on it. My wife's desktop with Win 7 on it is running IE 8. How do I reinstall it? The original IE9 Beta installation didn't create a restore point, and IE9 didn't show up in installed updates.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2018 Views 19,430 Applies to:
Answer
Does IE 8 show up in Installed updates?  It should have automatically reinstalled once IE 9 completely uninstalled on system reboot.

IE8 would be listed in Programs and Features but not Installed Updates on a Win7 computer.

Uninstalling IE9 does not "automatically reinstall IE8," it automatically restores it.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.