Internet Explorer will only work in safe mode

For the past 2 days Internet Explorer freezes as soon as I open it. I am unable to shut down as mouse and keyboard stop workingt.  IE works fine in safe mode.  I have disabled all add-ons, run a virus scan and even tried system restore (even though I have not changed anything since before this problem started)   more than enough available memory and everything seems ok.  Could this be a hardware problem? It's a Vista pc and I have had it just over 4 years with lots of usage.

Question Info

Last updated August 17, 2018 Views 12,212 Applies to:
Answer

Hi Christine,

-          Were there any recent changes made in the computer prior to the issue?

-          Do you get any error message when you open Internet Explorer in Normal mode?

Since you are able to access Internet Explorer in Safe mode, let’s go ahead and perform clean boot and check if the issue persists.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to reset the computer to start as usual. Refer step 7 in the article

Also, perform the steps mentioned in the following Microsoft help article.

Tips for solving problems when Internet Explorer crashes or stops working

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/tips-for-solving-problems-with-internet-explorer

Note: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might also reset parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature.

Hope this information is helpful.

Microsoft Desktop Support Engineer

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.