Question

Q: IE 9 very slow to load pages on 32 bit Vista Home Premium This thread is locked from future replies

It takes 58 seconds to load the home page with IE 9. No such issue with IE 8.

Any new tab or page is unworkably slow. Winmail has slowed down as well. I have loaded IE 9 back in April but uninstalled it for the very same reasons.

I just re-installed it because Windows Update kept bugging me., and I thought it would be fixed by now.

No luck.

Going back to IE 8.

Would very much like to know the reason why.....

Bigiron 

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Internet Explorer 9 is faster than Internet Explorer 8 and this shouldn't be slow when opening or when navigating between pages. The most common cause of performance slowdowns in Internet Explorer 9 is from add-ons that may need to be updated or reinstalled.

Method 1:

You can test to see if an add-on is affecting your Internet Explorer 9 performance by opening Internet Explorer (No add-ons) by following the steps below:

Click on Start

Click on All Programs

Click on Accessories

Click on System Tools

Click on Internet Explorer (No add-ons)

Method 2:

If that helps, you can automatically disable your add-ons by using the Microsoft Fix It provided in Step 4 of the link below:
Is Internet Explorer slow? 5 things to try: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/internet-explorer/slow-five-tips-to-boost-performance

Method 3:

If you would prefer to disable add-ons manually to identify which is effecting your performance, take a look at the "To disable add-ons in Add-on Manager" section in the link below:
How do browser add-on affect my computer?: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/How-do-browser-add-ons-affect-my-computer

Method 4:

Another reason that your Internet Explorer 9 is experiencing slow performance could be that your current video card or video card driver isn't fully compatible with Internet Explorer 9. You can test this by turning software rendering on.
How to Enable or Disable Software Rendering in Internet Explorer 9: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2528233

If software rendering improves the performance of Internet Explorer, try installing the latest driver from your video card manufacturer's website.

Please provide us with additional information, if any. So that we can help you fix the problem on your computer.

Hope this information helps.

Microsoft Answers

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have disabled all the add-ons etc. No improvement in performance.
As I mentioned before, initial page loading is very slow. Unworkably so.

I have Windows Vista home premium, SP 2, 32 bit on a 4GB memory machine.

HP 6110N desktop.

I suspect some sort of hardware conflict, or OS conflict. Maybe account security.

I don't have the time or energy to troubleshoot further.

I have abandoned IE 9 and gone back to IE 8 - no more slow page load issues.

BTW - I have no slow page loads with Google Chrome, or Firefox.

However IE 8 is still my browser of choice.

If support is pulled on IE 8, then I will go to a another browser, not IE 9.

That is all.

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for replying with your valuable feedback.

I would suggest you to post your valuable feedback on Internet Explorer feedback forum so that you get an answer for the problem that you are facing with IE 9.

Link: http://connect.microsoft.com/IE

Microsoft Answers

Sorry this didn't help.

I followed the link you gave, even logged in. Search for "ie9 slow" gave zero results. Search for only "ie9" gave zero results! So what good is it to post to that forum???

I too have the hideous slowdown problem with ie9 on Vista 32. My Dell laptop is a 3 year old XPS (dedicated graphics RAM, 4 GB system RAM), more than capable enough. I too have tried all the remedies suggested and gave up more than 6 months ago and switched to Chrome.

Recently I gave the laptop to a friend who tried  using IE9. She complained that it was as bad as her 10 year old Windows XP machine with 512 MB RAM. Indeed it was. I persuaded her to use Firefox (Chrome is too radical for her) and she is now totally happy.

I do not perceive slowdown problems with IE9 on my Windows 7 64-bit machines.

There are plenty of reports of this problem with IE9 - it seems to occur only on Vista and might be only 32-bit. Somehow M$ support doesn't seem to believe it, and parrots the same useless 4 steps, related to add-ons and graphics accelerators. The tech support suggestion is about as useful as the old suggestion, "please reinstall your operating system".

I think M$ should contact the people reporting this problem and offer to replace their computers free in exchange for their old machines that exhibit the problem. Then M$ engineers should hunker down and get to work on fixing this problem. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Have the same problem.  IE 9 loaded with an update last night.  This morning IE 9 is very, very, very slow.  Tried the fixes liisted on the post.  Nothing works.  I too have a Dell XPS system running 32 bit Vista.  I too have tried to get IE 9 to work in the past and have failed there also.  I will be going back to IE 8 as soon as I post this note.  Is there way to keep IE 9 from updating automatically?  I have spent too much time tring to come up with a work around when IE 8 does a good job for me.

Norm

Sorry this didn't help.

Don't know the exact reason why but my IE9 was very slow and the Favorites select loaded in 20+ seconds.  Tried everything from de-frag, deleting all temp files and folders and Microsoft Fixit but no effect.  There was also a problem displaying sub-folders where would only show outline but no selections.  After all that I un-installed IE9 (Control Panel/ Programs/Programs and Features and click on View Installed Updates to select and uninstall IE9).  System reboots and when you go to internet IE8 pops up.  After going thru install procedure my Internet Explorer is like new...CLICK, BAM!!!  Luv it! 

Microsoft still has some work to do on IE9!

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been using IE9 for quite some time and it has been great (except it has trouble dowldoading some of the PDF files I need for UNI, but thats where Google Chrome comes in). Last week out of the blue, it slowed down to a point where it was useless.I tried a lot of different fixes including uninstalling updates that where supposed to have caused this problem a little while ago, and un-installing, downloading and re installing IE9. Nothing worked  Finally I disabled Adobe Shockwave Flash Object in the "manage add-ons" menu. It's back to the speeds I had before!! 

Sorry this didn't help.

I was haveing the same excruciating problem. Replaced my router and cable modem (both over 5 years old) and there was no difference. Tried all the MS Fix It's and nothing helped.

Finally updated the driver for my video card and shazam - light speed!

Try updating your drivers to solve this problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

This fix was for  a related problem. Might be worth checking to see if it helps.

Found our solution. Slow to load first page, 20-30 seconds.

In IE go to Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings.

Turn OFF 'Automatically Detect Settings' ... and bingo, instant load.

Seems to be hunting around at first page looking for network options which is slowing it all down.

Try it and see

Good luck

Sorry this didn't help.

Internet Explorer 9 was rendering pages very slow on a PC I was repairing (taking minutes to load a single page). I installed Firefox for testing, and it worked fine. The graphics card was obviously having problems in IE9, but after updating drivers and removing all known add-ons the problem persisted.

The final solution was a bad installation of the Adobe Shockwave player (possibly caused by viruses and tons of junk-ware; I had already updated the Flash player which did not help). After uninstalling and reinstalling the Shockwave player IE9 is now back to running tremendously good again. I had never before seen Flash or Shockwave cause such problems, but I have now!

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 6,052 Last updated: February 12, 2018 Applies to: