Question

silverlight won't load in ie9

Ben F B asked on

I recently uploaded from IE8 to IE9 on a Win 7 Ultima 64-bit system.  Previously (with IE8), I could view Netflix without problem.  Now it keeps telling me to install Silverlight, which is already installed.  The problem isn't just Netflix; I went to the Microsoft Silverlight web site and tried to run the demos there, with the same problem.  It just tells me to install Silverlight.

I tried the following:

1. I went ahead and tried a re-install of Silverlight (without uninstalling first).  It then tell me that Silverlight is already installed.

2. I uninstalled Silverlight and then did automatic installation.  It says the installation is incomplete and gives me error 1603.

3. I uninstall Silverlight and also removed all items related to Silverlight (folders and registray branches).  Then I do a manual install (save the silverlight.exe file to hard drive, force extraction to a specific folder, then run installation from there).  That appears to install correctly.  However, I then find myself back to the original problem: Silverlight won't run.

So Silverlight is apparently installed but wont run under IE9 (I tried both 64-bit and 32-bit browsers).  This is the current version of IE with a stock copy of Win7 and all the current updates.

I can't find anywhere that Microsoft provides support to Silverlight.  Their community forums seem to be for developers only.  Since this seems to be a joint IE9 and Silverlight problem, I was hoping someone here might have a solution.

Thanks,

Ben

8 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Ben F B replied on

That didn't help but I did resolve my problem.  Just for posterity, here is the answer: Silverlight won't run in IE 634-bit mode and my 32-bit IE installation was broken (unbeknownst to me).

As I mentioned in my original post, I recently upgraded to IE9.  Previously, I had IE8 and was able to use both 64-bit and 32-bit versions without problem.  When I first upgraded to IE9, I had a lot of problems making it work and posted in this forum for help.  Eventually, I got it working, and was happily using it until this problem with Silverlight.  It was then that I discovered that I was only using the 64-bit version and that my 32-bit version wouldn't load.

So I spent a few hours on this and figured out the problem (I use the D: drive for my Program Files directory and that confused the IE9 installer).  Now that I have the 32-bit version of IE9 working, Silverlight loads fine and I can watch Netflix once again.

Of course, all this begs the question that why on Earth don't they have a 64-bit version of Silverlight?

2 people found this helpful

Abuse history

progress