silverlight won't load in ie9

I recently uploaded from IE8 to IE9 on a Win 7 Ultima 64-bit system.  Previously (with IE8), I could view Netflix without problem.  Now it keeps telling me to install Silverlight, which is already installed.  The problem isn't just Netflix; I went to the Microsoft Silverlight web site and tried to run the demos there, with the same problem.  It just tells me to install Silverlight.

I tried the following:

1. I went ahead and tried a re-install of Silverlight (without uninstalling first).  It then tell me that Silverlight is already installed.

2. I uninstalled Silverlight and then did automatic installation.  It says the installation is incomplete and gives me error 1603.

3. I uninstall Silverlight and also removed all items related to Silverlight (folders and registray branches).  Then I do a manual install (save the silverlight.exe file to hard drive, force extraction to a specific folder, then run installation from there).  That appears to install correctly.  However, I then find myself back to the original problem: Silverlight won't run.

So Silverlight is apparently installed but wont run under IE9 (I tried both 64-bit and 32-bit browsers).  This is the current version of IE with a stock copy of Win7 and all the current updates.

I can't find anywhere that Microsoft provides support to Silverlight.  Their community forums seem to be for developers only.  Since this seems to be a joint IE9 and Silverlight problem, I was hoping someone here might have a solution.

Thanks,

Ben

Question Info

Last updated December 18, 2018 Views 8,320 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

That didn't help but I did resolve my problem.  Just for posterity, here is the answer: Silverlight won't run in IE 634-bit mode and my 32-bit IE installation was broken (unbeknownst to me).

As I mentioned in my original post, I recently upgraded to IE9.  Previously, I had IE8 and was able to use both 64-bit and 32-bit versions without problem.  When I first upgraded to IE9, I had a lot of problems making it work and posted in this forum for help.  Eventually, I got it working, and was happily using it until this problem with Silverlight.  It was then that I discovered that I was only using the 64-bit version and that my 32-bit version wouldn't load.

So I spent a few hours on this and figured out the problem (I use the D: drive for my Program Files directory and that confused the IE9 installer).  Now that I have the 32-bit version of IE9 working, Silverlight loads fine and I can watch Netflix once again.

Of course, all this begs the question that why on Earth don't they have a 64-bit version of Silverlight?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.