Minecraft - Publisher Unknown

We've downloaded Minecraft for our son and when we try running it we get the "Open File - Security Warning" many people have mentioned in previous threads, which states "The publisher could not be verified.  Are you sure you want to run this software?"  We've also tried playing it online and received the Security Warning "Do you want to run this application?....This application will run with unrestricted access which may put your computer and personal information at risk.  Run this application only if you trust the publisher."

Is anyone able to tell us why the Publisher is unknown and if we are safe to run the application, please?  Considering the above, we do not feel it could possibly be safe as the Publisher is unknown; however, so many people seem to be running it, we are wondering if we are worrying unnecessarily.  Some advice would be appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2018 Views 2,287 Applies to:

Not that I use Minecraft I did see it uses Java and it needs to be uptodate,

Video trouble shooter, scroll down to the Java section and use the check your version links,

Uncheck the Ask toolbar install option from the Java site.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2532294

As far as the Unknown publisher,

This is an issue Minecraft needs to solve,

The User account control popup is normal for the stated reason because it does have the potential to corrupt your machine,

But then again every third party program has the same potential and is why you would get the same popup message (not necessarily Unknown publisher) but the following context would be identical.

So you would need to reach out to Minecraft,

I believe the popup would occur no matter what browser you would use/ Chrome/ Firefox...so another browser would not remove the UAC popup message.

I will give you an example,

VLC media player a great third party video player has a Unknown publisher and will produce the same popup message/ I approved that and nothing bad has ever happened.

Mcafee/Norton/IOBit security should not be Installed on a functioning computer=FreeAdvice

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you very much for the information.  We decided to run Minecraft after reading your reply and all appears to be running smoothly.

Sorry this didn't help.

Your welcome and thanks for the update,

Always download from reputable sources, not third parties go directly to the website or possibly a site like cnet,

Cheers.

Mcafee/Norton/IOBit security should not be Installed on a functioning computer=FreeAdvice

Sorry this didn't help.