InPrivate Browsing for Beginners

Summary
Have you ever needed to check in for a flight from a hotel business center or check your email from the computer at the library? Using public computers is really convenient, but could also be a little risky if the next user intentionally or un-intentionally discovers your personal information. To prevent other users from capturing your activity and information, you should use InPrivate Browsing on public computers.
Details

What’s InPrivate Browsing?

InPrivate Browsing is a feature in Internet Explorer that protects your browsing history, temporary Internet files, form data, cookies, and user names and passwords from being retained by the browser—and it’s really easy to do.

How do I turn on InPrivate Browsing?  
  • Click the Tools menu, and then click InPrivate Browsing.

-or-

• Open a new tab, and then, on the new tab page, click Open an InPrivate Browsing window.

-or-

• Press Ctrl+Shift+P.

-or-

• In Windows 8 or Windows 8.1, open the Internet Explorer APP from the Start Screen. Click to open new tab and there is an option to open InPrivate. 

How do I know it’s working?  

When InPrivate Browsing is turned on, Internet Explorer will launch a new browser session and you will see this address bar.

You can open additional tabs in this browser session and they will all be protected by InPrivate Browsing. If you aren’t sure, look at the address bar to see that the InPrivate bar appears.

What does it do?

While you are surfing and browsing in InPrivate Browsing mode, Internet Explorer must store cookies and temporary internet files so that the webpages you are visiting will work correctly. However, when you close the browser session, Internet Explorer will discard that information.

While in InPrivate Browsing, Internet Explorer will not store the webpage history, form data, or passwords.

InPrivate Browsing does not prevent someone on your network, such as the network administrator, from seeing where you went on the internet, nor does it provide anonymity on the sites you visit.  Some websites might be able to identify you through your web address, and anything you do or enter on a website can be recorded by that website.

How do I leave InPrivate Browsing?

To end your InPrivate Browsing session, simply close the browser window.

Forum Article Info

Last updated October 12, 2018 Views 1,391 Applies to:

I sometimes find InPrivate browsing helpful on a home computer. If I need to visit a website signed out, instead of clearing my browsing history or signing out of the website only to sign in again later, I can just quickly pull up an InPrivate window anytime.