IE9 is showing some pages as blank

I have installed IE9 on three Win 7 64-bit computers.  All are no older than one year old. On the two more advanced computers with i7 quad core processors and better video cards, some web pages appear as blank pages. The cheaper laptop displays the pages fine.  All these problem pages also display perfectly in Firefox as they formerly did in IE8.  I have tried compatibility view and also using software rendering to no avail. I have read that this is probably a video card problem and have downloaded the latest drivers for the cards. One site that is particularly bad is the Wall Street Journal online, http://online.wsj.com.  That main page is fine, but almost any of the articles linked from that page will display a blank articles tab. 

Furthermore, a view source when examined contains all the missing text. Any ideas?

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2018 Views 6,351 Applies to:
Answer

Problem Solved: It is the Helvetica font.

If using IE9, you try to access a web page that has Helvetica listed in a CSS file that the page references and you have the Helvetica font installed on your computer, the page will not display properly and for some pages they will be blank. Delete (but save to another folder if you think you will need it) the Helvetica font from the fonts folder, and the problem pages should display properly. At least, that is what has happed for me.

Needless to say, this was one of the stranger things I have run into, and Microsoft should address the problem.

Since there appears to be basically nothing on this when you search (unless you know to put Helvetica into your search), it appears that few people are using IE9 with Helvetica installed and are going to sites that reference Helvetica in their CSS files. I found the solution at http://simunix.com/wordpress/index.php/2011/03/18/ie9-helvetica-bug/

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.