How to clear / erase DOM storage

I understand that DOM storage is used for handling FLASH cookies, otherwise known as "super cookies" or LSO's.  These cookies are very persistant and are not cleared when exiting the browser.  IE's control for these cookies is in the "advanced / security" section of Internet Options - Enable DOM Storage. So it appears that IE treats this as either on or off but no way that I can see to clear the DOM if desired, either on IE exit or on command. I have encountered internet sites that use the functionality of Flash cookies so I don't want to totally block them but I also know that these cookies are used for tracking purposes as well so I need a way to clear them between browser sessions. There is an add-on for FireFox & Chrome called Better Privacy that allows LSO eraseure on command. I am wondering if there is a similar add-on available for IE????    

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for trying. This is not my question. You are talking about URL's. I am concerned with cookies.

These DOM / LSO cookies are put out by FLASH and do not reside in the usual browser cookie cache and are NOT cleared on exit, no matter what is specified in the settings. You may have heard about "super cookies" or even "Zombie cookies". They are insidious in that they can revive cookies that supposedly were deleted on previous exit, hence "Zombie". They are also much larger than normal cookies and have much more tracking & advertising capability.

BetterPrivacy for FireFox puts up a table that lists them and offers some control over them. CCleaner will delete them but that is another separate step after the browser is closed. I would like to find something that will do the BetterPrivacy thing on IE and run automatically on IE close. This is associated with DOM storage and can be blocked in IE but doing this can block function on some sites. Better to accept the LSO cookies and then get rid of them on exit.

For a better explanation of these dudes, see:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/betterprivacy/

and

http://www.wired.com/business/2009/08/you-deleted-your-cookies-think-again/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Start>Control Panel>Flash>Storage tab,

select "Block all sites from storing information on this computer"

Rob^_^ wang'you

18 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just a thought beyond what has already been given,

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/106540-dom-storage-cookies-enable-disable.html

Alt+TO

Delete browser history Settings button,

Caches and Databases section/ Uncheck Allow these......

Clear your cache,

Delete browser history button,

Uncheck the top box and Check all others/ Delete.

Mcafee/Norton/IOBit security should not be Installed on a functioning computer=FreeAdvice

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I really appreciate you guys taking time to respond  to this. To be clear, due to possible effects on the  functionality of some sites I visit, I am NOT very interested in complete blockage of these LSO's. I want an easy way, ala BetterPrivacy, to delete them when I close shop in IE.

To Dissed:   Is that an "erase DMO" procedure you detailed above? If so, please be more specific. I don't understand where these steps take place. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You can leave DOM storage checked in Internet options/ Advanced section,

Or Restore advanced settings Button/ Apply.

The Uncheck allow caches and databases option see this,

https://33giqq.bn1.livefilestore.com/y2pp5snqByt1o8tWORbgmmL6GbyR-Sw8cN1ai7eMD-6ASZkqUFRsaLS6faXUx4M6eZ7jUsElKH57xVF-_0dfbPSajH3Soi_HFnH2nyxzyaJDjaYhSgUYqDT-wKBDef3IcDv/ie10%20delete%20on%20exit-caches%20and%20data.jpg?psid=1

Delete browser history button options to use After you clear your Browser history cache (instructions in my first post) these are what I use personally,

https://33giqq.blu.livefilestore.com/y2pyhN6yd1u0OcmfbEN4jbmJOsMd46mOnYTy60PDvE1lOO2JU8_Fkojv10VMH4tk5nzt3rzur0HY5XRiiXsWpPE7HnVOSUpsBBSC51rQ9uBFkU/delete%20browser%20history%202c%201.jpg?psid=1

Mcafee/Norton/IOBit security should not be Installed on a functioning computer=FreeAdvice

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for these. Looks pretty much what I already am doing.

So, to answer my own question, IE has no way to directly look at content of DOM storage as you can with FireFox / BetterPrivacy. I can only assume that the setups recommended here really do erase DOM when exiting IE. If I want to be certain I will have to use CCleaner which is extra work. BUMMER!!! 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

See this article (down a ways, "Clearing the Storage Areas"):

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bg142799(v=vs.85).aspx

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 2, 2020 Views 14,984 Applies to:

Related Forums