HELP! How can I get to my bright house webmail using internet explorer using a Verizon router?

How can I get to my bright house webmail using internet explorer using a Verizon router? It has been since Dec 2 2012 and both are blaming each other. I can’t get to rr.com or webmail.tampabay.rr.com via internet explorer for my www.webmail.tampabay.rr.com using Verizon router. I did a trace route and it looks as if internet explorer is preventing me to get my Bright House webmail all the way back to me.  It just keeps going in circles with rr.com then comes up with “Diagnose connection problems” and “more information” - This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:Internet connectivity has been lost.The website is temporarily unavailable. The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's domain.There might be a typing error in the address. If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section.” Which of course I have done all those steps. The trace route shows that it stops at 71.74.56.72 (68.4ms) rr.com Jacksonville, North Carolina  . PLEASE HELP ME BECAUSE I CAN’T FIND ANYONE ELSE TO SOLVE IT! THANKS!

|
Answer
Answer

I can’t get to rr.com or webmail.tampabay.rr.com via internet explorer for my www.webmail.tampabay.rr.com using Verizon router.

I did a trace route

Unfortunately tracert  and ping are no longer reliable diagnostics, especially for problems with accessing HTTP or HTTPS hosts.   After all, the protocol involved isn't even one of those; it's ICMP.   More significantly ICMP has been blocked by many servers far from the servers that you would like to test.   This happened in reaction to some moronic "Denial of Service" exploits several years ago.

Instead, try using the IE Developer Tools, Network Capture (F12, Ctrl-Backtab, F5) to see what happens with this request

http://webmail.tampabay.rr.com/

FWIW I get (Aborted) which probably means that the host isn't even willing to respond to my request but that may be by design because I have no business requesting that URL.

OTOH you as a Verizon customer might have the same request treated differently.   Are Verizon and RoadRunner the same company or at least associated somehow?

In any case, a secondary goal of doing that would be to cache that lookup.   That happens for me but the Time To Live (TTL) for it is quite short.   Again, that may be because I am not a RoadRunner customer and have no business making any requests with that host name.   YMMV.

So, in a cmd window ASAP after making the request (e.g. before the Aborted shows up) switch to a cmd window and enter:

ipconfig  /displaydns

If you see an  A (Host) record  for your target IP address that way, then start another tab with the real

http://www.webmail.tampabay.rr.com/

request.   Again, that one doesn't work for me either but for you as a Verizon customer at least having the lookup cached may help IE get further than it has been getting for you.

Tip:  since the TTL is likely to be the same short value that I see, it will probably help to have the command already to go in the cmd window.   Also, to make this diagnostic clearer it would be a good idea to do an  ipconfig  /flushdns   before typing in the  displaydns  command.

BTW have you tried asking for help from Verizon about this?   They might at least be able to confirm my speculation about whether RoadRunner hosts ignore requests from non-Verizon IP addresses.

Oh.   Here's an answer to my question.   It looks as if Verizon and RR are not the same and others have been reporting the same problem but without blaming IE for it...

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/789736

(via BING search for
    roadrunner Verizon
)

So maybe it is  RoadRunner  who you should be contacting instead?   ; )

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 30, 2020 Views 1,304 Applies to:

Related Forum