Downloading an MSI file renames it MAN... really

I am trying to download a file from a website and IE trys to rename it when it saves it.

The source from the website looks like this:

<a href="foo.1.2.3.4.msi" title="foo MSI" class="version-download">Download Foo</a>

If I click on the link it says "Do you want to open or save foo.1.2.3.4.man (35.5MB) from ...?"  Sure enough it saves it as ".man" instead of ".msi". 

If I right click and say "Save target as...", it offers to save it as "foo.1.2.3.4.man"

Chrome and Firefox save it with the correct name.

Thanks

Ken

Question Info

Last updated December 11, 2019 Views 6,871 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Thanks for the helpful replies.  They gave me the clues I needed.  This problem happened to a customer and our tech support group reproduced it so it was not just my machine.  The tip about using developer tools - Network was key.  It showed that the type was "application/x-troff-man".  I used to speak troff and there is no troff anywhere around my situation.  This is why IE decided that it should change the suffix to .man.  Renaming the downloaded file to .msi worked and it installed just fine.

If the file were just foo.msi then the type was "text/plain" and IE saved it the way the other browsers did.  If I rename the file with underscores instead of dots, it comes in as "text/plain" and everything was also good.

The real solution then was to get the server to send this as the right mimetype.  Adding the following line to my .htaccess file fixed the problem.

AddType application/octet-stream .msi

Thanks again.

Ken

15 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.