Q: An internal error occurred in the Microsoft Internet extensions. This thread is locked from future replies

I am trying to download a zip file, and a message comes up during download, "An internal error occurred in the Microsoft Internet extensions".  I have downloaded E9, but the problem also occurred in E7.  What can I do?  I have also removed all add-ons, and have lost three zip files trying this.  It's Rhapsody music downloads.  What I don't understand is, the files will transfer quite a bit of data before the error occurs and halts the download.

• What were the changes made before the issue?

I would suggest you to refer these methods:

Method 1:

Let us reset the Winsock and check if that helps in resolving the issue.
To do this, follow these steps:
a. Click Start, and in Start Search, type cmd.
b. Right-click the cmd entry that appears in the search results, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
c. At the command prompt, type the following, and then press ENTER:
netsh winsock reset
Then, you should see the following message:
Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog. You must restart the computer in order to complete the reset.
d. Restart the computer.

Note If you receive an “Access Denied” error message instead of the message that is mentioned in step c, the command prompt was not correctly elevated. In this case, close the Command Prompt window, and repeat steps 1 through 3. Make sure that you correctly implement step b.

Method 2:

Try resetting Internet explorer settings and check.

Please note that running Reset Internet Explorer Settings will reset all user-defined settings including those set by installed extensions, toolbars and other add-ons to IE Defaults. This includes all Security, Privacy and Zone settings. Also this will clear browsing history, delete all temporary Internet Files, cookies, form data and especially all stored passwords.
Microsoft-Forum Moderator

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

8 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 10,827 Last updated: February 27, 2018 Applies to: