Flash flicker or stutter in IE 7.0 and 8.0

When I visit a website using IE with any Flash content in it the page loads and the Flash window displays the image but the image flickers  noticeably as it updates at a rate of about 5 to 6 a second.  Even modest minor motion animations on webpages will flicker. I also experience flickering of the Flash content while passing the pointer over an IE page with Flash content.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Flash. Same problem   Uninstalled and then upgraded Flash to ver. 10 - still the same problem.  This problem was present with Flash 9.2.x.x and remains with a new reinstall/upgrade to ver. 10.0.42.34.

In IE Internet Options I have done a full Restore in Advanced Settings and Reset Internet Explorer settings – still the same problem.

I previously had IE 7 running and started having this problem after doing some massive upgrades on drivers and software on this system.  I was well down this road when I first noticed this problem. A restore was not really an option. After trying to uninstall Flash and reinstalling it and doing a repair on IE without any change in the problem I finally upgraded to IE 8.  I am still experiencing the same flicker or stutter problem with IE 8.  As might be expected any Flash content that shows up in the Windows Live Messenger control window also has the same issue.

System:

WinXP Pro SP 3.0 32 bit (current on all critical updates)

MSIE 8.0.6001.18702 (latest version)

Window Live Messenger  2009 (Build 14.0.8089.726)

Flash Player 10.0.42.34  (Latest Version - non-beta)

ATI Radeon 9200 – running ATI Catalyst V 1.2.2314.20337 (latest version)

There is a different install of the Flash Plug-in/Player for IE than the one Firefox etc use.  Both are separately installed while running the respective browsers and they seem to recognize the appropriate install.

When running any of the following browsers I do not have the IE problem.

Firefox 3.5.7

Safari 4.0.4

Opera 10.1 (smoothest of all)

Chrome 4.0.249.89 (38071)

When running IE or Firefox, etc, I can visit http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/   which does a installed Flash status and version detection.

*All* browsers report:

“You have version 10,0,42,34 installed”

Because of the nature of my work using IE is a necessary evil otherwise I would simply go to one of the other browsers which have already demonstrated themselves to be trouble free.

I have spent the last several days searching the web for solutions and have yet to find one that solves the problem.  I have the most current video display adapter drivers and have tried different display resolutions and refresh rates without any success.  The fact that I don't have any problems in FireFox, Safari , etc and they all use a common (with the exception of IE which has its own) Flash plugin/player leads me to believe that the problem lies with the configuration of IE.

I am a recently retired computer professional and am now an adjunct professor at a university so I don't exactly qualify as a newbie.  Any knowledgeable suggestions would be appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2018 Views 2,347 Applies to:
Answer

Hey KI7OM,

This sounds like a problem the installation of Adobe Flash Player for Internet Explorer. Follow these steps to uninstall Adobe Flash Player completely then reinstall.

·         Download and use (right click and Run as Administrator) the Uninstall Flash Player Tool

·         Restart your computer

·         Reinstall Adobe Flash

Hope that helps, look forward to hearing back from you.

Steven
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.