Installed IE7 but not receiving website content

Running Windows XP, using Mozilla Firefox as main browser and AVR virus protection - no problems here at all. I originally installed IE8 but every time I tried to open would get "Data Execution Prevention" message which would shut me down. Eventually set waiver for IE8 but same result.

Eventually removed IE8 and installed IE7. Now program opens but after typing any site address in address bar, tab appears with site name (eg. "msn"0 but no content on page. On all occasions (whatever site I try to visit) it seems to be trying to contact "127.0.0.1"

Is there a solution or should I simply forget about IE altogether. Problem is that the reason that I am using AVR Anti Virus is that I need IE to install McaFee Anti Virus.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2018 Views 261 Applies to:
Answer

Assuming your McAfee subscription had NOT expired before you installed AVG Free Anti-Virus:

1. Download the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool, saving it to your desktop: http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe 

2. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar).

3. Double-click on the file you saved in #1 above to run the utility. Don't TOUCH your keyboard until the run completes, then reboot.

4. Uninstall AVG Free 9.0 & reboot, then do a fresh install of AVG: This time select the CUSTOM install option and do NOT install (i.e., uncheck) Linkscanner, Search-Shield, Active Surf-Shield, Security toolbar, or any of the email scanning components.

• Why you don't need your anti-virus to scan your email 
   http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tutorials/email-scanning/index.htm

5. Test.

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.