Question

Q: Address bar sometimes searches ask.com instead of going to the site.

Sometimes when I type in an address to my address in IE 7 or IE 8 I end up at Ask.com. This is especially wierd since I have disabled all search engines I am not interested from the manage addons window and it bothers me more than Ask.com wasn't there to remove and yet it's there in my address bar. In IE 8 the new link system show Ask.com at the bottom of the list just begging to clicked on. I keep my virus checker and Microsoft's Windows Defender up to date and neither has picked up any thing to suggest this is a virus or trojan.

Answer

A:

Hi Jorraxx

Thank you for your post on Microsoft Answers.

You said this happens "sometimes" and with IE7 or IE8.  So this is a Random issue?  Did you upgrade from IE7 to IE8 and still have the same issue?

This usually indicates that your Browser has been hijacked.  Use www.live.com or your favorite search engine to look for utilities to address a Hijacked Browser.

You can also try the following:

Modifying REGISTRY settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of REGISTRY settings can be solved. Modifications of these settings are at your own risk.

1. run regedit from start menu
2. go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Internet Explorer -> AboutURLs
3. on the right-hand side you'll find the "Tabs" parameter, right-click and select "Modify"
4. if you have this problem, the value of this parameter probably is "
http://ask.com/" this needs to be changed to the Internet explorer default of "res://ieframe.dll/tabswelcome.htm"
5. Close Internet Explorer and open again

I hope this information helps you resolve your issue.  Please Post back.

Ken
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 3,382 Last updated: May 21, 2018 Applies to: