IE will not open after updating to IE8.

Hello and thanks for your time.

I recently reformatted my desktop pc and reinstalled Xp Home sp2.  I have updated to sp3.

I have just finished updating ie to ie8.  I rebooted but, upon restarting, explorer did not open in the usual way.  I selected my account to log in and my settings loaded but, when my desktop appeared, there was no taskbar and none of my icons.  There was a small popup window about personalization of my browser settings (I'm sorry, for some reason I can't recall the wording) in the top left corner but, unfortunately, it hung and I had to reboot without shutting down properly.

Now, explorer starts as usual and, other programs seem to be fine but, when I click to open ie8, I get the little animated hourglass on my cursor for a moment or two - as though it is about to open - but then, it stops and nothing else happens.

I would appreciate some direction on how to rectify the situation. I have to make do with a dial-up internet connection at the moment and so, if there's a way to fix it without downloading anything (simply because it takes a long time), that would be preferable.  

Thanks again

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2018 Views 572 Applies to:
Answer

Hi,

It might be that the Internet Explorer 8 is corrupted. I would suggest you to uninstall and then again reinstall and check whether it resolves the issue. Follow the steps mentioned.

Step 1:

Follow either of the methods mentioned below to uninstall Internet explorer 8 from XP

Method 1:

Follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall Internet Explorer 8.

a.      Close all programs.

b.     ClickStart, and then clickControl Panel.

c.      ClickAdd or Remove Programs.

d.     In the list of currently installed programs, clickWindows Internet Explorer 8, and then clickRemove.

Note: If Windows Internet Explorer 8 does not appear in the list of installed updates, try the Method 2.

e.     Follow the instructions to uninstall Internet Explorer 8.

f.       When the uninstall program is finished, restart your computer.

g.      Method 2:

To uninstall Internet Explorer 8, follow these steps:

a.      Carefully select and then copy the following command:

%windir%\ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe

b.     Click Start, and then click Run.

c.      In the Open box, type Cmd.exe, and then press ENTER.

d.     Right-click inside theCmd.exe window, and then click Paste to paste the command that you copied in step 1.

e.     Press ENTER to uninstall Internet Explorer 8.

f.       When the uninstall program is finished, restart your computer.

After uninstalling internet Explorer 8, check whether the older version of Internet Explorer is restored. Follow the steps mentioned below.

a.      After you restart your computer, open Internet Explorer.

b.     Click About Internet Explorer on the Help menu. If Internet Explorer 6 or 7 appears in theAbout Internet Explorer dialog box, then you are finished with this article.

For further reference check the article mentioned below.

How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

Reinstall Internet Explorer 8 from the System download and install it from Microsoft website and install it manually. Check the link mentioned below.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/default.aspx

Thank you and Regards.                         

Thahaseena M
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer.
Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.