Question

Q: User Account Control

I recently had a new hard drive installed on on my Dell XPS computer.  Prior to having the new hard drive installed I had no problem with the Vista Home Premium running in 64 bit mode.  Since having the new hard drive installed I have had a number of issues, first whenever I try to download files from the internet it will not let me also I cannot view videos via IE8 "you tube, MSNBC, etc).  I have found that wheneve I turnoff User Account Control (UAC) everything works just fine.  Is there a way I can have UAC turned on and still have everything work? or do I really need UAC turned on.  My guess is that who ever reinstalled the system on my computer did something that makes them the primary account, Although it shows that I am the only account and the administrator.  I have tried correcting this issue via advanced tools in IE8 with no luck...Pls help.

Answer

A:

Hello Truett,

Thank you for posting.  What antivirus/internet security software are you running?  Unfortunately UAC is either on or off.  There is no selective setting for it.  The decision to have UAC turned on is a personal one.  Microsoft’s official position is that UAC should always be turned on but many user chose to keep it turned off because they do not like the constant verification pop ups.  Does turning off UAC allow you to view videos in IE8?  Usually when a user with a 64 bit version of Vista is having difficulty viewing video it is because they are using the 64 bit version of IE rather than the 32 bit version that is included for compatibility reasons.  The 32 bit version of IE can be found in the Program Files x86 folder.

Let us know the answers to my questions in your response.

Thanks,

Jack 

Jack
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Jack
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us k

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 609 Last updated: May 21, 2018 Applies to: