Turn off search in address bar

I recently downloaded the latest windows update, which in turn updates Internet Explorer to 8. What I absolutely LOVED about IE is that I could just type something in the address field (without adding ".com") and it would automatically pull up the website. Saved me a lot of time and loved the functionality of it. Now that it's been updated, I can't do that anymore. IE8 automatically pulls up Google Search instead of just loading the page.

Is there any way to turn this feature off? It slows my work down...and little minutes each time tends to add up.

Question Info

Last updated October 30, 2018 Views 7,406 Applies to:
Answer

The feature has moved.  It is now controlled as an "add-on".

From "Tools" on the "Command bar", click "Manage add-ons".

Under "Add-on Types", select "Search Providers".

Near the bottom of the dialog box, clear the check box marked "Search in the Address bar".

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

I recently downloaded the latest windows update, which in turn updates Internet Explorer to 8. What I absolutely LOVED about IE is that I could just type something in the address field (without adding ".com") and it would automatically pull up the website. Saved me a lot of time and loved the functionality of it. Now that it's been updated, I can't do that anymore. IE8 automatically pulls up Google Search instead of just loading the page.

Is there any way to turn this feature off? It slows my work down...and little minutes each time tends to add up.

No.   Learn how to use the new implementation.   E.g. set your focus in the Search bar when you want to search  (e.g. press Ctrl-e) and then type.   Otherwise when you type in the Address bar you can minimize your typing there if you use  AutoComplete for the Address bar which in effect searches your History and Favorites and then pre-selects one of the items that (local) search brings up.   If you want to use the entry which is shown selected first you can press Shift-Enter to save yourself having either to get it into the Address bar or to click on it.

BTW IE6 never "just loaded the page" when you entered incomplete URLs, especially ones without their top-level domain name (e.g. ones without the ..com).   You were actually getting an MSN server to do a search for you but that service is now gone.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.