Question

Q: Cannot use Adobe Flash Player on IE

Using Windows XP Home edition SP2 on IE8.I begin....it was all working fine until either an upgrade to IE8 or when switching from Avast Free to Avast Licence.Following reference from various forums,Idownloaded and saved from Adobe the uninstall and install files as attempting to directly install from Adobe site did nothing.Not much success,even when disabling all from the tray and disabling AV.Finally,used File Hippo and downloaded Version 10.1.51.66.When I check on Adobe Version test the site asks to run add on...'Adobe Flash Player 10.1d51'when confirmed it sees the player as the correct version and names the operating system as XP.When I go to manage add ons ShockFlash Object is there...double click it and the remove all sites button is highlighted.I click on this to allow all sites and close.However,try you tube and it dont work.Go to,for instance, Club Penguin and its looking for a flash player.Come out of IE,try again and Shock Flash Object is not in the currently loaded add ons......back to adobe version test and again its looking to run the previous add on that I've just allowed for all websites!!!!       Please help.Easy solution is to use Firefox,which works perfectly fine but IE is essential for home schoolingDo I have an active X problem?Internet Security settings seem ok. Using AVG free as AV

Answer

A:

Hey Skelp,

Let’s check to see if you have a 64-bit operating system. You can do this by:

·         Click Start

·         Right click Computer/My Computer

·         Click Properties

If you have a 64-bit operating system you will need to use Internet Explorer 32-bit instead of Internet Explorer 64-bit if you want to use Adobe Flash (this is because currently Adobe doesn’t have a 64-bit version of Adobe Flash)

How to access Internet Explorer 32-bit on a 64-bit operating system:

·         Click Start

·         Click Computer

·         Navigate to C: > Program Files (86x) > Internet Explorer

·         Right click iexplore.exe (this is the 32-bit version of Internet Explorer)

·         Click Create Shortcut

·         Click Yes (now a new shortcut to Internet Explorer will be created on your desktop, this will lead to the 32-bit version of Internet Explorer)

If you 32-bit version of Internet Explorer is sluggish or crashes:

This is usually caused by an add-on that is enabled but isn’t fully compatible with the version of Internet Explorer you are using (follow instructions in this link to improve performance: Optimize Internet Explorer)

If your 32-bit version of Internet Explorer doesn’t play flash correctly:

·         Download and use the Uninstall Flash Player Tool

·         Restart your computer

·         Reinstall Adobe Flash Player

If when you reinstall Adobe Flash Player it still doesn’t work in 32-bit Internet Explorer:

·         Use the uninstall tool again

·         Restart your computer

·         Right click Internet Explorer (32-bit version)

·         Click Run as Administrator

·         Download and install Adobe Flash Player

Hope that helps, look forward to hearing back from you.

Steven
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 3,904 Last updated: May 17, 2018 Applies to: