Question

Q: IE8, Office Communicator and Live Meeting performance is horrible.

I'm running Windows 7 64bit with 12Gb of RAM on an I7 quad core.  Whenever I start IE8 32-bit it takes several minutes before it will display a web page, most of that time it says waiting for about:blank in the status bar.  I've searched the web and none of the solutions I've found work.  I've noticed that Office Communicator and Live Meeting both take upwards of 5 to 6 minutes to start. 

I also use Firefox and it starts on the same web pages as IE8 but only takes a second or two.  Since most of my work is using tools like Sharepoint actually using Firefox as my primary browser is not an option since it is not compatible with Sharepoint.

I've disabled all antivirus and even changed antivirus applications at one point so I don't think antivirus is an issue.

Thanks in advance to anyone that has a solution.

Answer

A:

Please answer all of the following diagnostic questions by number in your next reply (no need to quote this post):

1. Did you upgrade to Win7 64-bit or is it a new computer?

2. What anti-virus application or security suite is currently installed and is your subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?  What third-party firewall (if any)?

3. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the computer?

4. Did a Norton or McAfee free-trial come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

5. Does the behavior persist if you start IE8 32-bit in No Add-ons mode?

=> Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer (No add-ons).

6. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE8 32-bit Advanced settings (RIES) & reboot?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Reset-Internet-Explorer-settings

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 585 Last updated: May 16, 2018 Applies to: