try to install ie8 keep getting error id 4373 on xp pro sp3

xp pro with sp3 installed and has ie6, try to upgrade to ie8 and keep getting error at the end of install. check event viewer and it gives me id event 4373 says in source ie8 cannot be found. the local computer may not have the necessary registry information.i have run sfc/scannow and check disk /f  to check file system. did microsoft checks for failed install of ie8, rebooted each time and try to reinstall same error each time. even try installing ie7 and get the same error code

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2018 Views 485 Applies to:

Please answer all of the following diagnostic questions by number in your very next reply (no need to quote this post):

1. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?  What third-party firewall (if any)?

2. Has a(nother) Norton application or a McAfee application ever been installed on this computer?

3. Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

4. Open Add/Remove Programs & make sure the Show Updates box at the top is checked. Now scroll down & tell me if ALL of the following updates are listed?

• KB2479943 [or KB2502898 if WinXP MCE 2005], KB2482017, KB2483185, KB2485376, KB2393802 & KB2479628

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.