IE8 says - HTTP 404

I am on the verge of giving up trying to find an answer to this issue.  It's frustrating.  My system is XP SP3, IE8, Pentium 4 2.8 GHz, 2 Gb Ram.  Usually runs well, without too many issues.  I can normally fix them myself.  I have two profiles set up - one for myself (as admin) and one for the back up software (as admin).

My latest problem is that IE8 cannot find the following websites: www.shopyourwayrewards.com,www.chimneybuster.com.  I get the HTTP 404 error.  But I can get to them using a differnet browser on this profile.  These sites are run by Sears, so I know they are legit.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled IE8.  I have disabled all of the IE add-ons.  I have reset the DNS and IP stuff.  No change in the result. 

I switched over to the back up profile - first time so everything was initially set up by default.  Opened up IE8 and it connected to both sites without any issues.  I reset all my Internet security options on my regular profile to match this profile.  Still no connection.

So now I know that it is something with that particular instance of IE8 on my regular profile, and not necessarily my computer.  I am open for suggestions. 

Thanks for your help.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2018 Views 1,780 Applies to:
Answer

Hey Phil the PC Novice,

This may be caused by the one user account having “overlong headers” which can confuse the website. To see your User-Agent String (UAS) visit this website and look at the red text displayed toward the top of the screen:

Internet Explorer – User-Agent String test

The link above may automatically recognize a problem and give suggestions, go ahead with those suggestions if you feel comfortable completing them.

Another guide to trimming the information displayed in the UAS can be found in the link below. If you don’t want to manually edit out the information, you can use the script linked at the bottom of the Overlong headers… section to automatically remove the .Net 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, and 3.0 versions.

Problem: Overlong headers result in HTTP/4xx or HTTP/5xx errors, particularly on devices such as routers or webcams

Hope that helps, look forward to hearing back from you.

Steven
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.