I am on the verge of giving up trying to find an answer to this issue. It's frustrating. My system is XP SP3, IE8, Pentium 4 2.8 GHz, 2 Gb Ram. Usually runs well, without too many issues. I can normally fix them myself. I have two profiles set up - one for myself (as admin) and one for the back up software (as admin).
My latest problem is that IE8 cannot find the following websites: www.shopyourwayrewards.com,www.chimneybuster.com. I get the HTTP 404 error. But I can get to them using a differnet browser on this profile. These sites are run by Sears, so I know they are legit. I have uninstalled and reinstalled IE8. I have disabled all of the IE add-ons. I have reset the DNS and IP stuff. No change in the result.
I switched over to the back up profile - first time so everything was initially set up by default. Opened up IE8 and it connected to both sites without any issues. I reset all my Internet security options on my regular profile to match this profile. Still no connection.
So now I know that it is something with that particular instance of IE8 on my regular profile, and not necessarily my computer. I am open for suggestions.
Thanks for your help.