When closing Internet Explorer IE8, 2 RunDll32.exe processes start using 98-99% of memory

When closing down Internet Explorer IE8, 2 Run Dll32 processes start uisng 98-99% of memory, slowing the computer down and hanging up all activity. What is the issue with IE8 which causes the 2 processes to take up all the memory?

This question was asked before, and the tech answering the question suggested a OneCare scan and it may be a malware problem. The reply in May 2009 did not resolve the query, only pointed to a series of useless suggestions about testing for viruses or spyware.

That is not the case here, as I have the full CA package, but still ran the suggested OneCare scan to make certain. I can end the processes manually in Windows Task Manager to get my box back from the SysWOW64 file, but need to resolve this problem permanently.

Thank you for any information you can provide

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2018 Views 1,347 Applies to:
Answer

Through testing, I determined the source of the problem to be deletion of browsing history on exit.  Under Internet Options > General > Browsing History, I unchecked the 'Delete browsing history on exit' check-mark, and the two instances of RunDll32.exe were not called.

I did not boot in safe mode to determine this, as I was trying to find a cause not a work-around.  At least I will be able to resume using IE again instead of Firefox.  Now I see there's an update to IE9.  I sure hope this bug has been corrected in version 9. 

Deletion of browsing history on exit should never take over a PC.  With nothing else running that used the CPU, the rundll32 instances were active for up to a minute.  With something running that used the CPU, then it could take progressively longer or lock up completely depending on what other applications were active.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.