“Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close,” IE8 and ESPN3.com -Streaming Video

IE8 “Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close,”  and needs to restart.  It will Recover automatically but show no solutions as to what the problem was. OS: Vista Ultimate 64 bit,   only occurs while watching sports (streaming video) on ESPN3.com .  Recently upgraded Video Card which required updating Vista from SP1 to SP2 for use of DirectX 11.

In the last few years rarely have I ever had this problem with IE7 or IE8 but it has happened (note: using IE only, not with streaming video) . I wonder since this has just become more frequent if related to SP2 or with the new AMD/ATI graphics card Radeon  HD 6870 and installing ( Catalyst 10.12 ) driver.

I have tried disabling Add-Ons, everything possible within IE8 Tools. I have uninstalled my Display Drivers and trying earlier versions. No longer have my old Video Card to reinstall cause it dead. The only thing I can think of is UnInstalling SP2. I do understand there is an IE Fix-It program.  But because I get a Monochrome type color or lines and distorted images while watching the streaming video on ESPN3.com believe it may have more to do with the ATI HD 6870 card or Driver triggering IE8 to stop RESPONDING  “Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close,” .  ( It happens every few minutes as I am attempting to watch my sport games on ESPN3.com. )

Have suggestions or Solution please Post.. Thank You!

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2018 Views 4,939 Applies to:

Please answer all of the following diagnostic questions by number in your very next reply (no need to quote this post):

1. Assuming your attempting to access these videos via IE8 32-bit only, does the behavior persist if you start IE8 32-bit in No Add-ons mode?

=> Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer (No add-ons).

2. Does the behavior persist if you open IE8 32-bit (only) to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737, run the Fix It and then reboot?

3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?  What third-party firewall (if any)?

4. Has a(nother) Norton application or a McAfee application ever been installed on this computer?

5. Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

6. Is the computer currently fully-patched at Windows Update?

7. Is Automatic Updates configured to automatically install third-party driver updates?

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

1) Internet Explorer (No add-ons). Done. But since No Add Ons ..Streaming  Video does not load/ work at ESPN3.com to watch sports. May require Java and Adobe Flash Player or something like that.

2) Ran Fix It.  Unfortunately I do not have my History anymore. I browse many sites per day. I do alot of referencing and comparison on products and read many articles.

3) Have AVG Free Edition, only Firewall I use is provided by Microsoft in the Operating System for Internet Explorer 8.  I use my Wireless USB Network Adapter connection to my DSL Modem with WPA Security. Anti-Spyware: Search and Destroy.

4 & 5 ) None.

6) Yes! Early January 2011 just updated from Vista SP1 to SP2.

7) NO! Why would I want 3rd party Updates. Get my Updates directly from Manufacturer of the Hardware Product or Software/Application website.

Back to IE8 and Streaming Video issue: Thought that Fix It had resolved the problem. But IE8 was not the main cause/ contributor. For unknown reasons my MSI R6870 Twin Frozr II Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 does not Store the AMD Driver 8.801 (Catalyst 10.12) and it gets DUMPED whenever I restart / Boot up my computer. I have to reinstall it as the Video Card is not Identified as DirectX 11 compatible until I reinstall the Driver. When I had used Fix It, it appears before reinstalling ATI Driver 8.801 that IE8 and ESPN3.com streaming video worked fine as ran 15 minutes without having a STOP RESPONDING message. Once I had reinstalled Driver 8.801, every 3 to 5 minutes the symptoms re-occurred. So not sure what Driver the Video Card has after a restart even though GPU-Z 5.0 and Windows Device Manager  indicates that Driver 8.801 is there (again the card is not identified as DirectX 11 Compatible until I reinstall driver).

Best I can say..it is AMD/ATI Graphics Card Driver issue which many people are have problems with since releasing their HD 68xx/69xx series cards. This is just One of several Hundreds of Driver Complications AMD/ATI has. Currently I have other problems with their driver too..

Next time I am purchasing nVidia. (nVidia maybe more expensive but also more dependable/reliable.)

Going to use System Restore ..hopefully I will get my IE8 History back.

Sorry this didn't help.

Going to use System Restore ..hopefully I will get my IE8 History back

Don't hold your breath, especially if you ran Fix It #50195.

<QP>

The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature restores the following items to their default settings:

• Home pages [reset to About:Blank]
  • Search scopes [reset to Bing as default]
  • Browsing history [deleted]
  • Form data [deleted]
  • Passwords [deleted]
  • Appearance settings
  • Toolbars
  • ActiveX controls [disabled or removed]

</QP>
Source:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

=======================================

TIP: Uninstall AVG & reboot, then do a fresh install of AVG: This time select the CUSTOM install option and do NOT install (i.e., uncheck) Linkscanner, Search-Shield, Active Surf-Shield, Identity Protection, Security toolbar [none of which are IE8-compatible IMHO], or any of the email scanning components.

• Why you don't need your anti-virus to scan your email 
   http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tutorials/email-scanning/index.htm

Better yet, uninstall AVG & reboot, then install Microsoft Security Essentials (free): http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/default.aspx

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.

Say...Thank you!

I believe that ESPN3.com webpage (scripts, etc.) may have a glitch functioning with AMD/ATI Graphics Driver (Catalyst 10.12) or the MSI R6870 Twin Frozr II Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 card as it is  attempting to keep the Streaming Video information / data / feed being Correctly Processed.

The driver may also have unidentified issues with IE8 .  Also possiblity of an Electronic Component failure on the card.

I did lose my History ... if my other Harddrive was connected should of made an Image (backup of the HDD). But I have 3 HDD's... 1TB, 1TB and a 1.5TB installed.

1 HDD with Windows XP Professional, 1 as a Slave but neither of these connected- no power.  Main 1.5TB is Partitioned and used as OS Dual Boot for Vista Ultimate 64 bit and Windows 7 64 bit. I can have 6 Sata Hard Drives installed with my Gigabyte GA-X48T-DQ6 mother board and I have plenty of space with Thermaltake Armor Plus Full size Tower ... maybe put a RAID 0 together.

I've been using AVG for 8 or 9 years .. had multiple Anti-virus programs and several Internet Security programs, also Trojan, Malware and Spyware stuff. But in the last 2 years found that I really need NONE. Just something to clean Cookies and delete Temp folder which TuneUp Utilities 2008, 2009 and 2010 done a nice job with. Windows Firewall plus using Wireless-N network adapter via Modem I have WPA security. Anyone with Common Sense can avoid viruses and Hacks.

I use SPAM filters on my email and never open anything I am unfamiliar with. If I didn't request it..i do not open. Besides Yahoo Mail does a very good job.

Windows Vista has never Crashed on me, I actually like IE7 better than IE8. Tried Mozilla FoxFire Browser .. liked it but has other features that drive me buggy so I only use IE.

I hate MS SilverLight. Sorry .. about being opinionated .. we all have our quirks.

I hope when AMD releases a new Driver my headaches go away !   lol.

Thanks! Have a great day.

Sorry this didn't help.

I truly suspect that AVG (and its various Add-ons) is the troublemaker here...

...and/or your injudicious use of TuneUp Utilities.

TIP: If you ever think your Registry needs to be cleaned, repaired, boosted, tuned-up, cured, tweaked, fixed, or optimized (it doesn't), read http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.

Also see http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2005/10/02/registry-junk-a-windows-fact-of-life.aspx

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.

My problems only Started when I replaced my old Video Card ( ATI Sapphire HD 3870) with ATI MSI HD 6870 and applied Windows Vista SP2 to obtain DirectX 11 which this card has capabilities for.

Installed new video card on December 29, 2010 and latest AMD/ATI Catalyst 10.12.

There has to be some unresolved conflict between Internet Explorer 8 and the HD 6870 or its Driver/BIOS. There is a remote possibility that the relationship of ESPN3.com website does not comform/ comply with AMD/ATI Video Card Hardware and/or its Software (meaning Driver or BIOS).

Also a possiblity that SP2 brought some unknown issue into the equation.

I would appreciate that you not to imply my Software-Programs such as Utility/Internet Security/Anti-Virus is the culprit.

I have no need to download any of those programs you suggest. I am not going to purchase items that you or Microsoft are recommending.

I am simply asking for assistance to resolve the Streaming Video / IE8 has Stopped Responding problem.

Since IE Fix It and other given procedures did not work. As in previous message " I hope when AMD releases a new Driver my headaches go away"

Take care ! Please alert the appropriate departments at Microsoft that AMD/ATI Drivers counteractive / reactions to IE8 or inform ESPN3.com we are experiencing Streaming Video issues with people having ATI Radeon HD 68xx and HD 69xx series video cards.

Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

[1] I am not going to purchase items that you or Microsoft are recommending.

[2] Please alert the appropriate departments at Microsoft that...

A1. I didn't recommend any item that you'd need to purchase.

A2. Read my signature.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.