change my password to be automatic from now on

Vista IE8... when I first logged on to a website I accidentally didn't get it to remember my password (there was no confirmation for me repair my mistake). A 2nd ID for the same website is created & stored properly. That particular website remembers both but only logs on automatically for the 2nd.

How do I enter my password for the 1st ID without deleting all my history for my browser history?

Answer
Answer

Hey W16,

Let’s check your AutoComplete settings to make sure the User names and passwords on forms option is checked:

·        Open Internet Explorer

·        Click Tools

·        Click Internet Options

·        Click the Content tab

·        Under the AutoComplete heading, click Settings

·        Check the User names and Passwords on forms and Ask me before saving passwords boxes

·        Click OK

·        Click OK

·        Close Internet Explorer

Once the two boxes are checked, the only option that is left will be to use Sysinternals – Process Monitor (ProcMon) to find what key is being created/looked at that is saving the password information.

·        Close all programs

·        Open ProcMon

·        Click Reset (if the option isn’t already grayed out)

·        Click OK

·        Click and hold the Crosshairs icon

·        Put the Crosshairs icon over the Internet Explorer window you have open and let go of the left mouse button

·        Navigate to the page that you selected to not save password information

·        Log in with the username that you selected to not save password information

·        Log out of the username

·        Close Internet Explorer

·        Go back to ProcMon

·        Press Ctrl + E on your keyboard to stop capturing

·        Scroll down to the bottom entry of the list

·        Press  Ctrl + F on your keyboard

·        Type Storage2 into the  Find what: field

·        Click Up in the direction field

·        Click Find Next

Keep clicking Find Next until you see an entry that looks like the bottom entry in this image:

Note: HKCU stands for HKEY_CURRENT_USER

The Path: information is what is important here.

For example: if I were to navigate to HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\IntelliForms\Storage2 and delete the E4CE6B2B79515319A7360D97E3B217F2FC843CC019 entry, the username/password configuration for the site I accessed during my ProcMon session will be reset to being prompted if I want to save again. The names of the keys are assigned randomly, so the only way to find the correct entry to remove is to use ProcMon to capture Internet Explorer accessing this key.

Modifying REGISTRY settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of REGISTRY settings can be solved. Modifications of these settings are at your own risk.

It’s always a good idea to make a backup of the registry before making any changes -Windows Vista – Back up the registry

To open Registry Editor, so that you can navigate to the path you found above and remove the key that is referenced in ProcMon:

·        Click Start

·        Type regedit

·        Press Enter on your keyboard

·        Click Yes

·        Navigate to HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\IntelliForms\Storage2

·        Right click the key you found in the path using ProcMon above

·        Click Delete

Those steps look very complicated, but if you take it step by step this process should work on any computer.

Steven
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2018 Views 1,748 Applies to:

Related Forums