Windows 7 IE 8 will not respond to external links

Running Windows 7 32bit on my HP Laptop.   With IE8, if I click on an external link, such as another web site, nothing happens.  I would be classified as an Experience User (used to develop software for a living).  I've looked on a lot of forums and have tried all kinds of solutions, disabling addins, etc.etc.  You can't uninstall IE 8 and reload it.  All you can do prevent it from loading in Remove Programs.   When you bring it back, it comes back with all the settings it left with.  I went to Microsoft where you can do an IE fix that supposedly takes it back to original form.  I elected to do that and even told it to delete all my settings, etc.  It did do that, but did not solve the problem.  When is MS going to address this problem????  ps: Not having the problem on two Windows 7 64 bit machines.

Question Info

Last updated May 29, 2018 Views 8,538 Applies to:
Answer
Had McAfee installed and uninstalled it.  Didn't help

1. Assuming you've since reinstalled the McAfee application, see if this McAfee three-step fix resolves the problem: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

2. If still no joy, download/run the appropriate, newly-updated script(s) by IE MVP Kai Schaetzl: http://iefaq.info/index.php?action=artikel&cat=42&id=133&artlang=en

Tip: The file named ie8-rereg.all.zip contains all three (3) scripts below.

If you have a Win7 32-bit computer:

• Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar) then Run the script named ie8-rereg.cmd & reboot.

If you have a Win7 64-bit computer:

• Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar) then Run the script named ie8-rereg.32on64.cmd to correct the problem in IE8 32-bit & reboot.

• Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar) then Run the script named ie8-rereg.64on64.cmd to correct the problem in IE8 64-bit & reboot.

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.