When opening a new tab,my "About:Tabs" page has been hijacked

I'm running IE8 with Vista home premium.

I recently loaded WinAmp which I'm happy with.

I'm not happy, however, with the fact that it has replaced the "About:Tabs" page provided with IE8 with a page from http://toolbar.aol.com. It basically redirects my browser to this site, gives me a useless page and loses me the useful browser session recovery options which the default page gives.

I can reset the page to "About:Blank" and to my homepages using tools/options/tabs/settings, but I want new tabs to have the original IE8 page.

This application has obviously changed the address somewhere so how can I change it back?

Question Info

Last updated September 7, 2019 Views 182,363 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi tboulter,

Please try the following; it has to do with modifying the registry so be careful:

DISCLAIMER:

Modifying REGISTRY settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of REGISTRY settings can be solved. Modifications of these settings are at your own risk.

1.       Click Start

2.       In ‘Start Search’ type regedit, press Enter (provide administrative credentials if prompted)

3.       Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\AboutURLs

4.       Right-click Tabs, then click Modify…

5.       Change the “Value data:” to:

res://ieframe.dll/tabswelcome.htm  

6.       Click OK

Now go back into Internet Explorer and make sure that under Tabs settings and under the category “When a new tab is opened, open:” you have it set for “The new tab page”.

This should resolve the issue. Get back to us with your results so that we can further assist you if need be.

Brian
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Brian

25 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.