TLS 1.0 on Internet Explorer 8 will not stay selected after one or two restarts of Explorer.

I recently purchased a new laptop with Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 8.  One of the things I use it for is to access my work email remotely.  To do this, I have to select TLS 1.0 in the Advanced tab under internet options.  Every time I select this, though, after one or two restarts of Explorer, I can't log on to my work email.  When I check the settings, somehow TLS 1.0 has become unselected.  This has happened at least a dozen times.

I have tried turning off all Virus Scan and Fire Wall software to see if that was blocking the setting changes and it wasn't.  I'm at a loss.
Answer
Answer
Mike,

This seems to be an error with McAfee's software and I recently confirmed this solution (by pigglety ) on the McAfee forums:

"To work around the issue, I have been applying a local group policy to my home PCs. If you have a Professional, Ultimate, etc. edition of Windows, the policy can be applied using the Local Group Policy editor.
1.        Run gpedit.msc.
2.        Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Internet Explorer > Internet Control Panel > Advanced Page.
3.        Set "Turn off Encryption Support" to Enabled and select the Secure Protocol combinations that you want."

http://community.mcafee.com/thread/18023?start=15&tstart=0

Hope this helps!

- joe

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
There was indeed McAfee preinstalled when I bought the system.  My subscription is current with it.

McAfee applications are notorious for not upgrading (or uninstalling) cleanly. Try this McAfee three-step fix: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507 
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 12, 2020 Views 22,571 Applies to:

Related Forums