The publisher could not be verified” warning when downloading files from Internet

Original Title:  My computer can't find publishers for downloads.

Oops... I put it in the wrong category :(... Sorry.

I'm not sure if the title is too clear... Sorry if I mislead you.

But I am running a fairly new computer, with Windows XP SP3. Whenever I try to download something, it will say "The publisher could not be verified". In the help page, it says that the software is probably not official, or something similar. This happens with EVERY download, though. Even when I went to download Microsoft Security Essentials off the official site. Help?

Question Info

Last updated October 26, 2018 Views 11,351 Applies to:
Answer

Hi WillKeller,

I would suggest you to try the steps mentioned below.

Step 1: Optimize Internet Explorer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213

Step2: Enable “Launching applications and unsafe files (not secure)

a.    Open Internet Explorer, Open the Tools Menu and Internet Options

b.    Click Custom Level under the Security Tab

c.    Change the  Launching Applications and Unsafe Files to Prompt

After this Internet Explorer will show an error message (about: Security Risk). You can perform this step only when you know that you’re downloading files from a secured website.  

Note: If enabling the option did not fix the issue, disable it.

Step 3: To Add "*.exe" to the "Inclusion list for moderate risk file types" setting

a.    Click on Start; in the Start search type “gpedit.msc” without quotes and press Enter.

b.    Go to User Configuration and then to Administrative Templates.

c.    Click on Windows components and then choose Attachment Manager.

d.    Add "*.exe" to the "Inclusion list for moderate risk file types" setting.

This policy setting allows you to configure the list of moderate risk file types. If the attachment is in the list of moderate risk file types and is from the restricted or Internet zone, Windows prompts the user before accessing the file.

Hope this information is helpful and let me know if you need any further assistance.

Mouneshwar R – Microsoft Support

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit ourMicrosoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.