Question

Q: Security Certificate - is not valid, this warning appears when going to a .gov website

A trusted, vital, much used website suddenly gets warnings that it's security certificate is not valid. I am supposed to enter my social security number on the web page that produces the certificate warnings. I can't navigate further in the web site without getting passed this page. What could be causing the certificate warnings? (This is the Ohio unemployment website)How do I get around this problem without endangering my social security number?

Answer

A:

Open Internet Explorer (only) to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Select CUSTOM and scan | Install any Critical Security Updates offered (e.g., KB982381).  If a Root Certificates update is listed in the Optional Software updates category on the left-hand side of the scan results window, install it to take full advantage of IE8's enhanced security & to correct the problem.

NB: Automatic Updates offers Root Certificate updates to Vista & Win7 by default. WinXP users running IE7 or IE8 must seek & install Root Certificate updates manually via Windows Update website. Root Certificate updates are generally released every 3 or 4 months.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 44,273 Last updated: June 18, 2018 Applies to: