Security Certificate - is not valid, this warning appears when going to a .gov website

A trusted, vital, much used website suddenly gets warnings that it's security certificate is not valid. I am supposed to enter my social security number on the web page that produces the certificate warnings. I can't navigate further in the web site without getting passed this page. What could be causing the certificate warnings? (This is the Ohio unemployment website)How do I get around this problem without endangering my social security number?

Question Info

Last updated September 10, 2018 Views 44,614 Applies to:
Answer

Open Internet Explorer (only) to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Select CUSTOM and scan | Install any Critical Security Updates offered (e.g., KB982381).  If a Root Certificates update is listed in the Optional Software updates category on the left-hand side of the scan results window, install it to take full advantage of IE8's enhanced security & to correct the problem.

NB: Automatic Updates offers Root Certificate updates to Vista & Win7 by default. WinXP users running IE7 or IE8 must seek & install Root Certificate updates manually via Windows Update website. Root Certificate updates are generally released every 3 or 4 months.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.