Oops! This link appears to be broken.__

HI I need help! I recently installed IE8 and it appears that since then I have been having trouble in accessing a number of websites such as the Google Home page, I keep getting the following error message; Oops! This link appears to be broken.

After reading some of the messages on in the forum I uninstalled IE8 and went back to IE7 but I am still getting the same error message. Thinking back I also installed a Java update and I am not sure whether that is the issue or whether it was the AVG Anti-Virus Free update? I am using Windows XP.

I can't access Google support! Can anyone suggest a solution? Thanks and regards.

Question Info

Last updated September 24, 2018 Views 12,317 Applies to:
Answer
Hi Shallowmanc,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft answers!

a. Do you have similar issues while browsing the internet with other web browsers?

Method 1:

If you’re able to browse the internet in other web browsers (e.g. Firefox, etc), the issue may be related to Internet Explorer.

You may reset Internet Explorer settings and check if that fixes the issue.

If the problem is caused by damaged or incompatible Internet Explorer settings or add-ons, you can usually resolve the problem by resetting Internet Explorer settings.

To Reset Internet Explorer settings follow these steps:

1. Exit all programs, including Internet Explorer (if it is running).
2. Click Start, type the following command in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER:

inetcpl.cpl
   The Internet Options dialog box appears

3. Click the Advanced tab.
4. Under Reset Internet Explorer settings, click Reset. Then click Reset again.
5. When Internet Explorer finishes resetting the settings, click Close in the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box.
6. Start Internet Explorer again.

Refer the below link for more details:

How to reset Internet Explorer settings
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Please note that running Reset Internet Explorer Settings will reset all user-defined settings including those set by installed extensions, toolbars and other add-ons to IE Defaults. This includes all Security, Privacy and Zone settings. Also this will clear browsing history, delete all temporary Internet Files, cookies, form data and especially all stored passwords.

Method 2:

If you receive the same error message on other web browsers too, the issue may be related to a corrupt Domain Name System (DNS). Follow the steps listed below:

1. Click Start and select Run .
2. Type cmd and hit ENTER.
3. Type ipconfig /flushdns and hit Enter.

You should get a message that says: Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

The ipconfig /flushdns command provides you with a means to flush and reset the contents of the DNS client resolver cache.

Let us know if this fixes the issue.

Regards,
Gokul - Microsoft Support

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.