KB980333 - is there a fix for XP so HTML pages print correctly?

IE8 running on XP/SP3 truncates HTML pages and leaves a wide right margin. I started a thread in the Windows Live Mail forum, but was directed here since this is apparently an IE8 printing issue rather than a printing issue specifically with Windows Live Mail.

Noel directed me to a hotfix, but it may not apply to XP.  Per his suggestion, I installed KB980182, but that did not fix the problem. 

FYI, the file version and date of ieframe.dll in my %windir%\system32 folder:
2/25/2010  11:54 AM
version 8.0.6001.18904

I found another thread on this forum ( http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/thread/8c629797-db1c-470c-92af-015e4ea03110 ) where a number of people described this issue, and it seemed to be answered for some versions of Windows, but not for XP.  Yes, I know XP is getting to be old and Microsoft wants everyone to upgrade, but there are a huge number of XP users -- including large corporate users -- and we need basic things like printing an email message or a web page to work!

Answer
Answer

I suspected that either you or Robear would chime in here, but I was hoping you'd be able to suggest a less convoluted method of updating the files necessary to correct this error.

My suggestion, which it looks as if Winglady might be up for trying, would be to locate the QFE version of ieframe.dll in the IE8-XPSP3 CSU KB980182, then after renaming the GDR versions in system32, copying it over. But not knowing what evil side effects this might have (like not updating the manifest to refelect the change), I didn't dare suggest it without having expert endorsement. I was also concerned that KB980333 also updated ieui.dll, so I expect that if there is a QFE version of that in the IE8-XPSP3 CSU, that should be copied over, too. But that might not be necessary for XP; I note that my own (IE7) version hasn't been updated since October 2006, and it's not included in the IE8-XPSP3 QFE file listing for KB980182.

So, Winglady, in the absence of any other ideas, and with every possible disclaimer and reservation on my part in the event of everything going pearshaped, try this:

1. Close down WLMail, IE and any other running programs.
  2. Set a system restore point.
  3. Find ieframe.dll in C:\WINDOWS\system32 and rename it by changing .dll to .old.
  4. Open C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB980182-IE8\SP3QFE and find ieframe.dll. It should be build 22995 (the last bit of the file version).
  5. Copy the file to the system32 folder.
  6. Reboot
  7. Open WLMail, say a prayer and try printing.

Noel

Noel
Noel Burgess | Certified Pedant | Claims to know a bit about Windows Live Mail

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 9, 2020 Views 3,806 Applies to:

Related Forums