Question

Q: is Your Internet explorer 8 running slow and/or your cpu usage running high after installing ie8?

It was for me and these fixes sorted the problem for me - and I hope you too.

ie8 was slow to load and my task manager showed 100% cpu usage - but not where.

I downloaded Processor Explorer from www.sysinternals.com and ran that to see what the cpu was up to and that gave the clue. A high level of system idle hardware interrupts 43% and Deferred Proceedure Calls 39% so that my processor was very busy doing something - but what? Everything was running ok before ie8 installed so guessed it cant be hardware related. Maybe ie8 just obese bloatware?

Because ie8 comes as a Priority update (cant seem to block) i had to download and install and becasue of all the slow probs, I uninstalled and did several system restores too and that got me into a mess with a busted ie7! Repairing ie7 was not an option and I lost mu restore points (my fault) - so the onle way was ...forward with ie8.

I read on net and forums slow ie8 might be issue with certain installed antispyware because ie8 has improved security. So, there could be a conflict.

I am running xp home on Athlon950Mhtz with 1Gb memory with 2 internal drives and one external. I have SpywareBlaster and EZ antivirus.

I disabled EZ and removed SpywareBlaster completely and rebooted but it made no difference - cpu still running 100%.

I re-enabled EZ and tried ie8 but still slow to load - waiting several minutes just to get to dial up! Then ages to do anything on the net...you know.

Rebooted into Safe Mode and saw the cpu was back to normal - 4%! Therefore, a clue.

Made a list of the running services and compared with the list of services running in normal mode and guessed problem must be one of the services that loads after the system boots into normal mode - e.g. EZ.

I knew there is no virus or malware running on the system and it was running sweet before the ie8 install - therefore the must be a conflict somewhere - but nothing showing in System hardware profiles or anywhere else as a fault.

I fugured it might be driver related so this is what I did:

I uninstalled my modem software driver and removed the modem from the computer - then I rebooted and reloaded the modem driver and connected the modem and rebooted. I then got a pop up message to say the modem was now configured to work with ie8 - didn't see this message before!

However, the CPU was still showing 100% usage and all the interrupts and defferred usuage still way up above normal but I clicked on internet explorer anyway and guess what..... it loaded just as I was used to with ie7 and I was back surfing the net in seconds!

So the slow load ie8 problem was sorted.

I did a few more reboots and test runs and ie8 still loading up and surfuing net with no ploblemos but the cpu still running all the time at 100%

I figured the high use cpu problem could therefore be driver related also so I clicked on Search from Start and typed in verifier.exe to get the Driver Verifier Manager tool (it is probably in Vista too) then clicked on the icon to open and scrolled along to find Automatically select unsigned drivers. I clicked Next to get a list of the unsigned drivers on the system and noted these were all related to EZ! I allowed them all and rebooted.

Outstanding result.

The CPU was now back to normal 4% running and all the Hardware Interrupts and Deferred Proceedure Calls were gone too!

Lots of Punching air (been trying to sort this problem for days...too long) and high fives to self (on my own, sadly).

Also, forgot to mention above I checked into Microsoft knowledge base and looked up Driver Verifier Manager - how to use.

A simple fix that took ages to sort out.

Anyway, this worked for me and I hope it works for you.
One Love.

Thanks for the info and detailed troubleshooting steps.  I did a quick search and it appears that this EZ Antivirus was an older CA product.  Was it ever certified for use with Vista and/or IE8?
Steve Hebert - Microsoft MVP, Internet Explorer

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried the above steps (I run on a network so I uninstalled the adapter rather than the modem), and it is still slow.  Uninstalling in an attempt to revert to IE7 did not solve the problem, as you mention.  I did find a very simple solution, though, I downloaded Firefox and am using that without any problems.

Sorry this didn't help.

I think this slow behavior has something to do with the recovery files that IE8 continually writes at:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Recovery\Active\

They have names like: <GUID>.dat  -- {0E133027-5389-11DF-8A21-001422335927}.dat, etc.

I have written a program which allows you to watch files (using SystemFileWatcher) that are : changed, deleted, renamed or created and the program shows that these files are written to often:

Mine has been written to 156 times in the past couple of minutes.  It's probably data to recover the tabs you have open, but it seems like all this work really hogs the resources. Check it out in your own directory.

Does anyone know if this Recover behavior is new to IE8 (was it in IE6 or IE7?).  If it is new it may likely be the culprit. I wonder if there is a way to turn off that behavior.  I will research IE8 options and attempt to report back.

Sorry this didn't help.

So I found the option in IE8 under

Tools...Internet Options... Advanced (tab)...Browsing (section)..

[X] Enable Automatic Crash Recovery*

It seems to be checked by default (mine was checked).  The * indicates that it "Takes effect after you restart Internet Explorer".

So, I unchecked the option (turned it off) and restarted IE8. 

However, when I create a new tab in IE8 I still see :

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\RecoveryActive\<GUID>.dat is created and then in an instant it is written to some 28 times. 

IE8 creates a recovery file for each tab you have open.  Then as you access web sites from each tab, its associated recovery file gets written to. 

I wonder if you have to do a reboot of the OS for the change to take affect, since M$ has always said that IE is a part of the OS?  :-)

Sorry this didn't help.

Seem to have fixed my problem (hopefully).  Now I have a problem with opening IE.  Thanks so much for your info!

D

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you. Will give it a try and let you know.  I loaded "Chrome Browser" and it works fine.  I also
have other bad looking stuff in Task Mgr.  I have run every Malware prog in world so don't think I have 
a problem there.  I have a process called rundlll sys 32 inetcple.cpl clear my tracks.  I am skipping alot of
what the pprocess says,but if you see a rundll about clear your tracks you will see it says it is a i.e error.
And of course I can not really uninstall it.  So I am not sure what the problem is.  But thanks alot for your help. Bill  I'll let you know.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 77,792 Last updated: May 21, 2018 Applies to: