Internet explorer keeps restarting

no cold.

Internet explorer keeps restarting on me and it asked me to go to previous session or home page. I tried automatic fix but it keeps on restarting sometimes it will be good for a day or so and other days it will do it. Any help.Dave

Question Info

Last updated February 5, 2020 Views 23,292 Applies to:

Related Forums

Answer
Answer

Hi  Dave, 

• Did you make any changes to the computer before this issue started?
  • Do you receive any error message?

Step 1

You may boot the computer in safe mode with networking and check if Internet Explorer works fine and post back the result. To boot to the desktop in safe mode keep tapping F8 key during restart. Once you see the option to boot in safe mode with networking select it and press enter.

Access the link to know more about how to boot the computer in safe mode:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

Step 2

Run Internet Explorer in "No Add-Ons" mode and check if it works fine.

An error may occur if an add-on is damaged or if an add-on conflicts with Internet Explorer. To verify the same, run IE in no add-ons mode.

a. Go to Start Menu > Programs > Accessories > System Tools.

b. Click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons). Internet Explorer opens without add-ons, toolbars, or plug-ins.

c. Test Internet Explorer to verify that it works correctly.

If no errors occur, the problem is caused by one of the add-ons that typically load together with Internet Explorer. In this case

1. Use the Manage Add-ons tool to determine which add-on is causing the issue. 
  2. Open Internet Explorer.
  3. Click Tools, and then click Manage Add-ons.
  4. On the Show drop-down menu, select All add-ons to display all add-ons that are installed on the computer.
  5. For each item in this list, select the add-on, and then click Disable in the Information window.
  6. When you have disabled all the items in this list, click OK.
  7. Exit and then restart Internet Explorer.
  8. If issues do not reoccur, repeat steps I through III.
  9. Click Enable for a single add-on.
  10. Repeat steps VI through VIII until you determine which add-on causes errors to occur.

Step 3

Also you may optimize Internet Explorer settings on your computer and check if it works fine. Access the link below and follow the steps to optimize Internet Explorer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213

You may also try to reset Internet Explorer settings and check if it helps. Follow method 4 in the above article to reset Internet Explorer.

Hope this helps. Let us know the results.

Thanks and Regards,

Srinivas R

Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

18 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.