Internet Explorer freezes when downloading fairly larger files (100MB or greater)

Original title: Files Keep Freezing Before Completion.

For anyone who can help me, I'm very grateful. I'm using IExplorer 8.0 & my problem is when I try to download fairly large files, at least 100MB or up, over half the time the download will freeze and just sit there till I cancel or let it time out, and they don't always stop at a certain percentage. Other files could be downloading at the same time and wind up finishing. When trying other browsers they tend to do pretty much the same way. I've tried my Dad's laptop (same router) with several files and it worked fine. I don't have any problems loading pages or anything else that I'm aware of. I've tried all I knew to do by unplugging the router, the modems coaxial & power cord, waited for a while and them plugged back in, also tried resetting the IP address, deleted the network on my laptop & started it back up. I've had no problem since I'd been connected (couple years ago); but for unknown reasons have had these problems for a month, and to the best of my knowledge hadn't messed with anything that would cause this. Not sure if it's helpful but I also ran Spybot, Malwarebytes, and AVG; all came up clean.

Thank you very much for your time.

Question Info

Last updated April 30, 2019 Views 3,966 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Hi,

Follow the steps mentioned below and check if that makes any difference in that fixes the issue.

Method 1:

Open Internet Explorer in no add-ons mode and check if that fixes the issue.

To start Internet Explorer without add-ons,

a.    Click the Start button, and select All Programs.

b.    Click Accessories, and select System Tools.

c.    Click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

If disabling all add-ons solves the problem, you might want to use Add-on Manager to disable all add-ons and then turn on add-ons only as you need them. This will allow you to figure out which add-on is causing the problem.

Refer the following articles and follow the methods mentioned in the order of appearance to fix the issue:

Tips for solving problems with Internet Explorer

How to optimize Internet Explorer

Method 2:

Step 1:

Boot into safe mode with networking and check if the issue persists.

See Advanced startup options (including safe mode) for more information on booting into safe mode with networking.

Step 2: If the issue does not occur in safe mode, you may put your system in clean boot state (in normal mode) to troubleshoot the issue.

See How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

Note: After troubleshooting, make sure to put the computer to start as usual as mentioned in Step 7 in the above KB article.

Gokul - Microsoft Support

[If this post was helpful, please click the "Vote as Helpful" (green triangle) button. If it helps in resolving your issue, click "Propose As Answer" or "Mark as Answer" button. By proposing/marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.