Question

Q: IE8 Auto Complete not working

I have upgraded to IE8 but now the Auto Complete feature will not work.  I have gone to the Tools, Internet Options, Content, Auto Compete and checked the settings there, there is a check mark next to Address Bar, Browsing history, Favorites, Forms, User names and passwords on forms, and Asl me before saving passwords.  I have tried removing the check marks, re-booting, and puting them back, no change.  I have looked on the internet for help and on this site and found nothing that helped.

Answer

A:

Hello DBSlacker,

Thank you for posting.  I've included some steps on how to reset IE below.  This should resolve the issue.

Please let me know if this helps.

To reset Internet Explorer settings manually

Close any Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer windows that are currently open.

Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Internet Explorer.

Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.

Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset.

In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.

When Internet Explorer finishes applying default settings, click Close, click OK, and then click OK again.

Close Internet Explorer.

Your changes will take effect the next time you open Internet Explorer.

Notes
  • If you close all visible windows, but still get an error message when trying to reset, you might have programs running that are not visible. Restart Windows, open Internet Explorer, and try resetting again.
  • To back up your home page or home page set before resetting Internet Explorer defaults, see Back up your home page or home page tabs.
  • If any of the categories fail to reset, it is because Internet Explorer could not access a file or registry setting. This can be caused by insufficient security privileges, files or settings being used by another program, or low memory or high CPU usage. You can either continue to use Internet Explorer without restoring these settings, or restart your computer and try to reset again.
  • If you are using Internet Explorer on a server and have turned off hardening (stronger security settings for use on servers), reset will go to client level security. You must reinstall hardening if you want the increased security level.
  • To re-enable add-ons, see Internet Explorer add-ons: frequently asked questions

Zack
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 139,153 Last updated: May 21, 2018 Applies to: