Question

Q: IE8 and Data Execution Prevention - Closes the Internet Explorer when RootsMagic starts to download an update This thread is locked from future replies

Win XP SP3. I downloaded IE8 (8.0.6001.18702).
As soon as updates of one particular program (RootsMagic) starts to download the Data Execution Prevention window pops up  telling me "To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this program" and the prog in question is IE8. It is presumably an IE8 fault, but perhaps the RM updates do something the DEP doesn't like. I can download updates from the RM site with no hassle and I can automatically update other programs like AVG. I've looked at the KnowledgeBase article but that didn't help me. Am I missing something obvious?

Answer

A:

Dear Brett,

I have the same problem as described above and have tried what you have suggested. However it is not allowing me to uncheck "Enable memory protection to gelp mitigate online attacks".

Is there any other way to disable DEP ??

Try the method below, posted by Eric Lawrence of the IE team.

Don

It's greyed out because you failed to follow the instruction: "right-clicking the shortcut you use to start IE and choosing "Run as administrator."

You cannot change this setting unless IE is running as admin.

http://blogs.msdn.com/ieinternals/archive/2009/10/10/Understanding-Data-Execution-Prevention-Crashes-in-IE8.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Answer

A:

Let's try turning off DEP inside of inside of Internet Explorer and see if that helps.  Click on Tools, Internet Options, then the Advanced tab.  Scroll down to Security and uncheck "Enable memory protection to help mitigate online attacks".

Test downloading the software again (be sure to virus scan it since something lit off on it).

You may want to turn that setting back on when finished.

Please let me know the results.

Brent
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 84633 Last updated: February 11, 2018 Applies to: