IE 8 intermittently displays "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" error
Periodically that message appears when I try to access a web page. Hitting "Refresh" or the Enter key usually produces the web page I was seeking, but this happens far too often, and I would like to correct it. When receiving the page, I've gone through
the steps in the "Diagnose Connection Problems" button, but it comes up with something like "Troubleshooter Could Not Identify the Problem." When I close that dialog box the web page I sought usually appears.
I have also run the troubleshooter on this page:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/956196, specifically Method 9, with the same result. Since this is an intermittent problem, I don't see that the other methods would help, since this only occurs about every third or fourth time.
I suppose I could reinstall IE 8, although I'm unable to find a tutorial on this for Windows 7, but would like to exhaust other methods first.
Follow the path below to turn off and turn on Internet Explorer which is as good as uninstalling and reinstalling. See if that makes any difference.
Start> Type in Turn Windows feature on or off in the search bar>Hit
Enter>UncheckInternet Explorer 8 in the window that opens up>Select
OK>Restart the computer and Check the box next to Internet Explorer 8 using the same path you followed to turn off the feature.
Let me know if it helped.
Varun J: MICROSOFT SUPPORT
If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.
Thanx for the suggestion, and I'll file this solution and use it if necessary, but I explained in this post that I had solved the problem, or at least about 97% of it: Well, after I posted this question I kept searching for a solution, and I don't remember where I found it, but I fixed the problem by going, on a web page, to Tools-Compatibility View Settings, and in the window that appeared put a checkmark in the box
next to "Display all web sites in Compatibility View" at the bottom. That was a few days ago, and the problem has only occurred a couple of times since then. Before it was occurring about every 3rd or 4th web site, so it is a great improvement. You may want
to try it if you haven't already. Hope it works as well for you as it did for me.
Based on my philosophy of "If it ain't broke don't fix it," I'm not going to do anything else unless the problem recurs.