I would like to be able to open multiple windows using IE8. --- I have turned off tabbed browsing --- do not like. ---

Currently when I try to open a second window, the first window is forced to my homepage. --- Does anyone know the settings to allow multiple windows/sessions?

Question Info

Last updated September 17, 2018 Views 12,526 Applies to:
Answer

Hi Hawkeye59,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers!

Method 1:

For using multiple windows in Internet Explorer 8 you may have to disable a few settings, follow the steps for disabling tabbed browsing.

1.      Open Internet Explorer.

2.      Go to Tools and select Internet Options.

3.      In the General tab click on setting against Tabs, to change the settings.

4.      For all the sections select New Window, and then disable tabbed browsing.

5.      Apply the settings by clicking Ok.

6.      Close Internet Explorer, the changes will take effect from the next session on Internet Explorer.

Method 2:

If this does not help you may try resetting Internet Explorer and then again disable tabbed browsing. To reset Internet Explorer follow the steps.

1.         Exit all programs, including Internet Explorer (if it is running).

2.         If you use Windows XP, click Start, and then click Run. Type the following command in the Open box, and then press ENTER:

inetcpl.cpl

For Windows Vista/Windows 7, click Start. Type the following command in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER:

inetcpl.cpl

The Internet Options dialog box appears.

3.         Click the Advanced tab.

4.         Under Reset Internet Explorer settings, click Reset. Then click Reset again.

5.         When Internet Explorer finishes resetting the settings, click Close in the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box.

6.         Start Internet Explorer again.

Disclaimer: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might also reset parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature

For more details on Internet Explorer reset follow the below given link:

How to reset Internet Explorer settings

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Hope this information is useful.

Amrita M

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.