how to fix error 8007ffff? unable to open "save as.." dialog box in Internet explorer 8 or opera 10

IE version 8.0.6001.18813 & opera 10.

Opera10:
When I right click to save as (file, picture) , nothing happens.

IE8:
When I right click to save as, message appears with "Could not complete operation due to error 8007ffff".

Which means I have lost the ability to download any files.
Answer
Answer

Hi Straypig,

Thank you for posting your question.

To resolve the issue with Save as in Internet Explorer try the steps below:

Uninstall all the additional toolbars installed on the computer from Control Panel > Programs and Features. Most of the times, the toolbars will cause the issue.

Even after uninstalling all the Toolbars, if you still face the same issue then:
- Clear the Internet Cache. (Tools, Internet options, delete files)
- Repair or Uninstall/Reinstall Internet Explorer, via Programs and Features.
- Uninstall MSN Add-Ons, if they are installed.
- Refresh the MDAC (Microsoft Data Access Components) by downloading and installing them from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6c050fe3-c795-4b7d-b037-185d0506396c&DisplayLang=en
If you’ve recently (prior to the problem arising) added any fancy graphics programs, particularly ‘freebies’, they may be interfering with the GDI (Graphical Device Interface). Try uninstalling them.

You may try the same steps for Opera as well. But it is recommended if you contact the Browser manufacturer for assistance on that.

Note: Using Third Party Software, including hardware drivers can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Third Party Software can be solved. Using Third Party Software is at your own risk.

Let us know if that helps.

Regards,
Chethan Kumar.

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer. Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Microsoft-Forum Moderator

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 21, 2020 Views 5,954 Applies to:

Related Forums