How do I turn off the "Set Up Windows Internet Explorer 8" pop-up???

I've been a happy Windows user since version 3.0. I like Windows. But now I've gone and downloaded IE8. After downloading it, I responded to the selections presented in the "Set Up Windows IE8 pop-up window. I manage six user accounts, so I've become pretty familiar with it. But I don't have time to delve in deeply and learn how to use all these features right now. They may be great features; we are just too busy. So I just want to know one simple thing. HOW DO I GET IE 8 TO STOP INCESSANTLY INTERUPTING ME WITH THE "SET UP WINDOWS IE 8" POP-UP?  I thought the original idea of personal computing was that we were supposed to be able to tell the computer what to do; not that the computer should tell us when we need to learn about a particular feature. If I don't hear about how to stop this pretty soon (and I have searched), I'm going to uninstall IE 8.
C. Steven Rorke
<email removed>

Question Info

Last updated May 21, 2018 Views 99,004 Applies to:
Answer

I found a GPO IE7/8 setting called 'Prevent performance of First Run Customize settings' and once enabled you can set the option to 'Skip Customize Settings, and go directly to the user's home page.'

I located the inetres.adm file for IE8 settings found in c:\windows\ie8\ folder on a server with IE8 installed.  I imported this adm file to a new GPO I created called 'Disable IE8 First Run Customize Settings Wizard' enabled the 'Prevent performance of First Run Customize settings' and set it to go to user's home page under computer configuration.  I applied this to the Terminal Servers OU and ran gpupdate on all of our terminal servers.  This looks to be the fix.

Mark Riley - IT Consultant
Mark Riley - IT Consultant

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Hi Sarvoth,

Thanks for posting.

When you say "I tried placing all of these edits into the HKEY_USERS\. Default profile", are you putting the reg changes in the correct path "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main "?

How do you have Citrix setup?

Using Third Party Software, including hardware drivers can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Third Party Software can be solved. Using Third Party Software is at your own risk.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Chris
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.