Favorites won't open and new favorites can't be added

For some reason none of my favorites open from the favorites menu anymore nor will they come up under their saved names when I type them in.  In addition when I try to add sites to my favorites list it says it couldn't be created because of an unspecified error, but the site shows up in the list just won't open. Any ideas?? I tried resetting my settings and deleting the sites and saving them again and it did nothing.

Question Info

Last updated October 13, 2018 Views 32,828 Applies to:
Answer

For some reason none of my favorites open from the favorites menu anymore nor will they come up under their saved names when I type them in.  In addition when I try to add sites to my favorites list it says it couldn't be created because of an unspecified error, but the site shows up in the list just won't open. Any ideas?? I tried resetting my settings and deleting the sites and saving them again and it did nothing.

click on start /  control panel / internet options / security tab
disable "protect mode"
ok

if persist

DISABLE UAC

I await your response

If your question is resolved, please vote in response to util and click the green arrow below the picture
Rodrigo Borges MCITP / MCTS / MDOP / MCDST / MCP CASO A RESPOSTA FOR UTIL, FAVOR RESPONDA E CLICA NA SETA VERDE ABAIXO DA FOTO PARA VOTAÇÃO
rodrigo borges

23 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

Hello actorsnightmare1,

Thank you for posting.  What antivirus/internet security program are you using?  Make sure that your software is not trying to control the Favorites.  If your antivirus does not monitor Favorites then it is possible that you have an add-on the is preventing you from accessing your favorites.  If you are running Google Desktop it can interfere with how links are handled in IE8.  Let’s try running IE without add-ons to see if this lets you use your Favorites:

Troubleshooting IE without Add-ons

Click on Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and click Internet Explorer no Add-ons.  Now, try using a favorite to go to a site.  If it works we will know an add-on is causing the problem and we need to determine the problem add-on.

Locating the Problem Add-On

Restart IE normally, then click “Tools” on the Menu Bar and select Manage Add-ons.  Disable all of your add-ons and then re-enable them 1 at a time until you locate the add-on causing your problem.

Tag Ending

Let us know if this solves your problem.  If not, please include the answers to my questions, any error messages verbatim from the screen, and a detailed description of the failure in your response.

Thanks,

Jack

Jack
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Jack
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us k

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.