Q: Computer freezes while streaming online video after win 7 install This thread is locked from future replies

(Hope I posted in the right category)

After a hard drive crash, previously using Vista, we started with a new hard drive and installed a full version of windows 7 ultimate N.

When we try to watch online videos, (mainly divx) at various sites, the computer will freeze up and we have to restart. This will happen within a few seconds of clicking the play. Flash player operations seem to work most of the time, but will freeze the computer if we pause the video for more than 5 minutes or so.

Here are things we have tried;

Downloaded the latest win7 driver for our video card.

Made sure we had latest win 7 updates.

Made sure we have the latest directX. (11)

We made sure our video card is on the windows compatibility list.

On the advice of the ATI tech support, we downloaded a codec pak (K-Lite). We downloaded media player & media center, in case they provided some necessary codec.

We got onto ATI tech support, and also onto divx support.

Made sure we have the latest divx software and the latest flash player.

Took the ati driver out, took the card out of the system, made sure it had no dust or debris on it, reseated it, restarted, reinstalled the driver.

Then we experimented with uninstalling the ati driver, and just using the driver that windows installs. Videos stream again, no freezing.

After suggesting we get some codecs, which did not help, ATI support told us we shouldn't need to watch divx movies, as most sites use flash player. (!) Or, we should download movies to watch instead of streaming them.

Divx support asked for our diectx dxiag results, and has yet to answer since then. 

Here is what we have system-wise

Windows 7 UltimateN

Asus motherboard p4s800D-x with P4 processor

XFX Radeon (ATI) agp HD4650 1GB video card

I should note that before we had the crash, we were streaming videos fine with the same hardware on vista ultimate. And since the crash does not occur with the generic widows driver, does it not say the ati driver is suspect?

On the chance that this is a win7 problem, or that there are tests in win7 i can run, I am posting here. I hope someone has an answer, we have been messing about with this for a week, after a painful few days of hard drive failure!

Hey Amanda1,

Just adding a link to your new thread in Windows 7 – Hardware and Drivers that is dealing with swapping to the newer motherboard:

Changing to a new motherboard with Windows 7

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 4,822 Last updated: February 9, 2018 Applies to: