Question

Q: Can't remove Google Redirect virus! Help! This thread is locked from future replies

There is apparently some kind of virus that is causing Google and Yahoo (also Bing) search result links to be redirected to unrelated sites or spam sites. I did a full scan with Kaspersky Internet Security and also with Windows Defender - both had updated databases but neither detected the problem. I have the same issue with both Internet Explorer 7 (XP with all security updates) and Firefox. The symptom is when you do a search on Google or Yahoo, then click on one of the results, you are taken to a page other than the one specified in the link, usually a page about a completely different topic or a spam site. Other people have reported the same issues on various blogs but not clear solution. How can I find and remove this virus? Please help. Thanks!

Answer

A:

see my previous posting of 2/4 (below), not sure if it will work for you. i also upgraded my version of Kaspersky and that seemed to help also.  at the time, none of the Microsoft scanners were able to detect the virus; i don't know if that has changed.

>> fyi,  Hitman Pro 3.5 seemed to fix the redirect virus problem, for now, but i had to rename the executable to get it to run.  it reported that the atapi.sys file was infected.  there's an article about the issue at - 

http://www.surfright.nl/en/home/press/tdl3-rootkit-still-large-issue-for-anti-virus-programs 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

3 people were helped by this reply

Answer

A:

I tried for weeks to remove this redirect virus, using McAfee, Norton, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, Spybot, Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool, and many, many more.  Then, I came across this post:

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How-to-fix-Google-Redirects-t267407.html

Following the few easy steps laid out here instantly fixed the problem using TDSS Killer.  I have a feeling that a lot of the fixes found on the web worked for previous versions of this virus and are no longer effective.

Hope this helps!

G

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

20 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 128,866 Last updated: April 15, 2018 Applies to: