Question

Q: cannot connect to internet. cannot find server or DNS Error. This thread is locked from future replies

every time i try and connect to internet on my main computer, i get "cannot find server or DNS error".  all other computers are working fine.

Answer

A:

Hi madw71,

a) Did you make any changes recently?

b) Do you have a wireless or a wired connection?

In the meantime you may follow the steps suggested in order.

First, temporarily disable all the security and firewall software

Note : enable them after performing troubleshooting steps.

Second, you may run the Network troubleshooter first to see if it can help diagnose and solve your problem. Open the Network troubleshooter by right-clicking the network icon in the notification area, and then clicking Troubleshoot problems.

You can also run the Internet Connections troubleshooter by:

1.       Clicking the Start button , and then clicking Control Panel.

2.       In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting.

3.       Under Network and Internet, click Connect to the Internet.

For more troubleshooting help, see Why can’t I connect to the Internet? (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/why-can-t-i-connect-to-the-internet )

Third, I
would suggest you to turn on network discovery and check whether it helps to fix the issue. To do so, please follow the steps below:

1.    Open Advanced sharing settings by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type network, click Network and Sharing Center, and then, in the navigation pane, click Change advanced sharing settings.

2.    Click the chevron to expand the current network profile.

3.    Click Turn on network discovery, and then click Save changes. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

To know more about this feature, please visit the below mentioned link:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/What-is-network-discovery

Flush DNS and request a new IP address from your ISP server by following these steps.

* Click Start
    * Click run
    * In the run box type cmd.exe and click OK
    * When the command prompt opens type the following. ENTER after each new line.
    * ipconfig /flushdns
      ipconfig /release
      ipconfig /renew
      exit

For Internet Explorer you may perform the following methods and check.

Method 1 :
Run Internet Explorer in No Add-ons mode Although browser add-ons can enhance your online experience, they can occasionally interfere or conflict with other software on your computer. Try starting Internet Explorer without add-ons to see whether the problem is resolved. Follow these steps:

1. Click Start
    , and then click Internet Explorer .
  2. Click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons) . Internet Explorer opens without add-ons, toolbars, or plug-ins.
  3. Try to view the Web page again to see whether it works correctly.
If disabling all add-ons resolves the problem, you might want to use Add-on Manager to disable all add-ons and then turn on add-ons only as you need them. This will let you determine which add-on is causing the problem.
  1. Click Start
    , and then click Internet Explorer .
  2. Click Tools , and then click Internet Options .
  3. Click the Programs tab, and then click Manage add-ons .
  4. Click an add-on in the Name list, and then click Disable .
  5. Try to view the Web page again to see whether it works correctly.
  6. If the Web page works correctly, you know that the add-on caused the problem. If you still cannot view the Web page, the add-on did not cause the problem, and you can enable it again.

Method 2 :

To reset IE to the defaults

click Tools> Internet Options, then go to the Advanced tab. Click on the reset button at the bottom of the Advanced tab and select the options you would like to keep from the list.

Refer the link below to reset Internet Explorer settings:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Azeez Nadeem - microsoft Support

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

40 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 58780 Last updated: February 23, 2018 Applies to: