Windows received an HTTP error message: 403 (Forbidden) from

I am getting problems in a couple of websites which I was previously able to use with no problems.

The problems occur in Internet Explorer.  In Firefox and Google Chrome, they do not occur.

In 1 site with whom I have an account with the company, I can access the site OK, access most pages within the site without any problems. But 1 feature which is an in-box where the company may send me messages, when I click on any message to open it up, I get Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage. If I hit Diagnose Connection Problem, it reports the above 403  problem.

The other site is Brittany Ferries in which I have previously successfully made bookings from the laptop with the problem. Again I can access the website and go most of the way towards completing a booking, but then I get Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage.

The laptop is a Sony Vaio, running Windows 7 and IE 8. I upgraded IE to 9 but still have the problem

I repeat that I can perform all the actions in Firefox and Google Chrome without experiencing the problem. And also on our other laptop which runs Vista and IE8. It appears to be only an Internet Explorer problem.

Can anyone advise on how to remove this problem? If it ocurs in 2 websites, then presumably it may occur in others.

Question Info

Last updated July 15, 2018 Views 22,602 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

If I hit Diagnose Connection Problem, it reports the above 403  problem.

The other site is Brittany Ferries in which I have previously successfully made bookings from the laptop with the problem. Again I can access the website and go most of the way towards completing a booking, but then I get Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage.

The first symptom is caused by the host, so ask them.   Alternatively you could try spoofing a different User-Agent string.   E.g. it may be as simple as just using compatibility mode which would spoof an IE8 UAS.   Also, it's possible that you are being misled by a firewall, e.g. sometimes they intercept requests from unknown browsers they consider to be Trojans and reflect the request back as an error or ignore it, depending on their implementation.  I think that could happen with the Diagnose tool too because its requests would not be seen as being done by  iexplore.exe.

In IE9 you have a new Network capture tool in the Developer Tools.   You could try that to get more details about your symptoms.   Alternatively, just use  Fiddler2.   A problem then is that you would be using a proxy between the host and the client which could affect secure sessions.  A more transparent trace would be to use WireShark or NetMon but that would be harder to use and interpret.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

65 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't see how you can conclude that the issue is at the host from the symptoms I have described.

The facts are:

• Works in Firefox
  • Works in Google Chrome
  • Previously did not work with IE8, and now with IE9 after upgrading
  • Used to work on this laptop in Internet Explorer 8
  • Works in IE8 on a Vista laptop I have access to
  • Both problems occur on this laptop in IE8 and now 9. Both problems do not occur in Firefox or Google Chrome

I have since tested both problems on a Netbook running XP and IE8, and they do not occur.

Therefore to me the problems are related, and the symptons all point to an issue with Internet Explorer that has developed on my laptop. I can find no other users reporting problems with these sites by doing searches on the internet.  If you disagree, why is that?

I am not a techie, just an ordinary laptop user, so have no idea what you mean by spoofing a different user agent string.

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't see how you can conclude that the issue is at the host from the symptoms I have described.

Are those other browsers getting an  HTTP 403 and somehow ignorning it?

no idea what you mean by spoofing a different user agent string.

Start with compatibility mode, using either the button or the Developer Tools Browser Mode menu.   IE9 now has a Tool in the Developer Tools to substitute other UAS; otherwise you can use the  UAPick  add-on.

Robert
---

Sorry this didn't help.

Are those other browsers getting an  HTTP 403 and somehow ignorning it?

What about the IE8 browser on the other 2 laptops I have tried? This does not have the problem

OK.
Have Ran in Compatibility mode. Still fails.
Tried other UAS. Still fails

Sorry this didn't help.

What about the IE8 browser on the other 2 laptops I have tried?

You could try using Fiddler2 to trace both cases.   IE9 has its own Network capture now which might avoid proxy issues associated with Fiddler, so you could have 3 points of comparison.

Good luck

Robert
---

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a simular problem. I have been frequenting  a new sight and have even been made a moderator there. I have had no problrm logging on via IE9 till now. First after being given moderator authority, I could not stay logged in. I had to log in each time. Now I cannot even reach the sight. I come up with a blank page and the HTTP 403 Forbidden error. I've tried Mozilla Firefox and even Safari from my iPhone. I come up with a real blank page on the later two.

It has been suggested that I clear ALL my cookies. But I hesitate doing this as it also clears ALL my passwords for the numerous sights I frequent. Is this a good idea or just a waist of my time?

Now others seem to be able to access this sight with no apparent problems. I don't know what they are using for a browser. But I do know that the person who put the sight together does not use IE.

I run Norton for my computer protection. And as I stated above, it's only been a few days since I was able to log on succefully. I do not have this problem with any other sight.

Sight here -----> http://newwings.site.nfoservers.com/news.php

Sorry this didn't help.

It has been suggested that I clear ALL my cookies. But I hesitate doing this as it also clears ALL my passwords for the numerous sights I frequent. Is this a good idea or just a waist of my time?

You could delete just the Cookies which apply to your particular problem site.

BTW did you try any of the suggestions in the post that you are tacking your Me too! on to?  ; )

Robert
---

Sorry this didn't help.

@ Robert .... no I haven't tried any of the above .... yet ....but IE9 doesn't seem to (by way of the options menu) give me the option of just deleating that pages cookies. Is there a way you can lay via the registry?

Sorry this didn't help.

IE9 doesn't seem to (by way of the options menu) give me the option of just deleating that pages cookies.

Correct.   Even in XP you had to use the TIF Viewer or shell:Cookies.  But in Vista and W7 it is even worse because you can't even use the TIF Viewer reliably because some of the Cookies may be in the Low directory where the TIF Viewer never looks.   Fortunately in W7, Windows Explorer can be used provided you add  Last Accessed to its Details view, e.g. open shell:Cookies then add that column and use it to sort to see which Cookies were last used (presumably by the request which failed.)   Then drill down into Low and do the same thing there.  (Don't ask me why we can't specify our Details preferences in bulk.   Window 7 was NOT my idea!  <eg>)

Good luck

Robert
---

Sorry this didn't help.

@ Robert .... thanks for your help. I went through the cookies not finding the specific web page annotation. Or atleast that I could recognize. Since this is the temp folder in windows, is there a way to use search or find within this folder?

Sorry this didn't help.