Q: SSL/TLS Grayed Out In IE8 This thread is locked from future replies

I am unable to access any SSL enabled web sites. Under IE 8 Advanced Tab, all of the SSL/TLS options are grayed out. There is also a note on the bottom of the window that says "Some settings are managed by your system administrator". I am under an account with admin access. This problem is not present in the local Administrator account. So its an issue with this user. It is also not under any policy restrictions either. If i right click and run as administrator i get the same issue. There has to be something that is telling IE that its under some admin control and to disable SSL/TLS. This is also affecting other apps that seem to use the IE settings like FeedDemon. It also cant connect to an https site. Under another user it works fine.

Thanks for your time.

~::[ Code Jester ]::~

There is a very good chance that you are seeing the effects of a hijackware infection!

NB: If you had no anti-virus application installed or the subscription had expired *when the machine first got infected* and/or your subscription has since expired and/or the machine's not been kept fully-patched at Windows Update, don't waste your time with any of the below: Format & reinstall Windows.  A Repair Install will NOT help!

Microsoft PCSafety provides home users (only) with no-charge support in dealing with malware infections such as viruses, spyware (including unwanted software), and adware.

Also available via the Consumer Security Support home page:

1. See if you can download/run the MSRT manually:

NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan!  You may need to download the MSRT on a non-infected machine, then transfer MRT.EXE to the infected machine and rename it to SCAN.EXE before running it.

2a. WinXP => Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan (only!) in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:

2b. Vista or Win7 (but not Vista 64-bit or Win7 64-bit) => Run this scan instead:

3. Now begin your own, new thread in one (only) of the following recommended forums for assistance by an expert in such matters.  DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!!

• SpywareHammer: Malware Removal

• Spyware Warrior: Help with spyware removal

• DSL Reports: Security Cleanup

• Bluetack: Malware Removal

• AumHa: Malware Removal

If these procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting this isn't your cup of tea - take the computer to a local, reputable and independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA or Geek Squad) computer repair shop.

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 3,838 Last updated: February 6, 2018 Applies to: