Q: Runtime error! ...iexplore.exe The application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way... This thread is locked from future replies

Original title:  Runtime error!__Program: C:/Program Files/Internet Explorer/iexplor.exe__The application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way.__Please contact the applications support team for more information.

I am running a HP notebook and I get the above error msg whenever I start-up IE.

The notebook is running Windows 7 Starter  but I am unable to advise you of the version of IE coz the msg keeps on appearing.  After acknowledging the msg a few times the application just comes back with another msg that says that the application was unable to return me to my home page!

Before this msg appeared I had deleted a utube downloader program that I was not sure of that annoyingly would come up each time I started IE and try to download a file, which I had neither asked for or had any knowledge of,  to my computer.

Pls help

Hi m113a1,

The issue that you have mentioned can be caused due to various reasons, however the most probable cause is:

1.     Unwanted toolbars

2.     Temporary files and cookies.

Please follow the steps as mentioned below:

1.     Open the Internet Explorer Performance troubleshooter from the below mentioned link:

2.     Refer to the link mentioned below to resolve the issue:

Note: If you are unable to open Internet Option from IE, try this: Click “Start”, click “Run”, type inetcpl.cpl, and then click “OK”. This will open the “Internet Options” window. Follow the steps as described in the above link.

3.     Uninstall any toolbar, like Google, Yahoo, ask, etc. Refer to the steps mentioned in the link below to uninstall application:

Gaurav Prakash - Microsoft Support
Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

10 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 35,393 Last updated: February 20, 2018 Applies to: