IE8 Problems with Java on Windows 7 Home Edition

I have a problem running Javascript on IE8 in Windows 7 Home Edition. I am unable to download and display some Javascript/applets from several website which was previously working fine (using IE8). I also went tohttp://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml to do the Java version test but it failed. This problem arises after an automatic upgrade (not sure whether it is Windows or Java). 

Perhaps the following information may throw some light and help identify the problem:

a. I have went into the IE 8/Internet Option/Advanced/Restored Advanced Settings/Reset, and then uninstall the Java program from Control Panel. After that I reboot the laptop, go to Java.com and reinstall the latest Java 6 update 21, run the Java Version Test on the Java website but failed again. Tried also to run two other websites which has Javascripts but also failed.

b. Run Chartnexus (a stock technical charting program) which is a standalone program using Java (i.e. not from IE8) , and this work fine.

c. Tried running the same three tests as above using Firefox and Chrome, and the same three tests were successful!

These indicates that there is nothing wrong with my Java installation?

d. Went to Administrative Tools/System Configuration/Services and tried to enable only those services which Window Safe Mode runs but it still failed to load the Java scripts from the three websites above.

e. Went to the Internet Options/Programs/Managed Add-On and checked that the Java Plug-in 1.6.0.21 is enabled.

f. Went to the Internet Option/Security and Privacy and ensured that all settings are on default levels.

g. Went to Java Control Panel/Advanced/Default Java for Browsers and it shows that Microsoft internet Explorer is ticked (but the selection is grey over).

h. Finally, run Windows 7 on the Safe Mode, and surprisingly, all the above test runs successfully!

All the websites support personnel that I have approach for help with their Java applets advised me to simply use Firefox instead of IE, and even my three sons, each of whom have their own lap top and who are using Firefox, tell me the same thing.

I am more familiar with IE but this is getting to be very frustrating!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2018 Views 8,564 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Ok. Now its working fine....

a. Have copy my old corrupted User Profile to the New User profile and upgrade it to an Administrator.

b. Also upgrade to Java 6 Update 21 and java scripts now works beautifully.

c. Will keep the Microsoft Security Essential as suggested.

So it seems that my old user profile has been corrupted.

Thanks very much. Really appreciate your assistance and patience. Cheers!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.