How do websites get added to Restricted Sites?

How do websites get added to Restricted Sites?  I have hundreds of them in there and I have not added any of them.

I believe some of the sites that are listed in Restricted Sites are somehow conflicting and causing me to get Unknown Zone (Mixed) status on certain websites.

From other post:

I have IE8, it came with the computer whenit was purchased in December 2010.

Many websites don't load properly. There may be a blank space where an ad should be, or in extreme cases functionality will be effected. For example on a PBS website a will not play using the embedded player. For any website I have problems with I will have no problems if I access it from a public computer (typcially using IE7 or IE8) so it has to be my IE8. But what is the problem? Is it settings, is it add-ons?

To try to troubleshoot I reset IE8 to it's default settings from Internet Options->Tools->Advanced. No change. In fact after doing this yesterday it now seems that things are worse, many websites now display unknown zone (mixed) on the status bar.

Please read the following carefully: I have tried running IE8 with no add-ons and the problems still exist. All the websites I have trouble with, still don't display properly. And all the websites that say unknown zone (mixed) still say it even when add-ons are disabled.

Is there anything to do to troubleshoot IE8? Please don't suggest moving to IE9 as I am sure all the problems will carry over (they always do).

I have been a staunch MS user and defender. I am a shareholder in the company. But I can't have a browser that doesn't function properly. I am open to suggestions but please understand I have tried the typical things all to no avail.

Hi

Which ani-virus programs do you have installed?

Spybot Search and Destroy?

Software such as SpyBot, MVPS.org, and IE-SPYAD often add thousands of domain names to your Internet Explorer's Restricted Sites list. Often, 7Search.com is included among these domains. If it is there, you will not be able to login into your 7Search Advertiser and/or Affiliate Account. - ref: 7search.com

If you have used the SpyBot Immunize feature, you need to "Undo" the immunization.

All the above Registry tweaks were designed for XP computers.... they are not compatible with IE9 on Windows 7....the efficacy on IE8 is probably 0 as there are now over 1.2 billion websites and their site listings are out of date. Having such a long list of Restricted sites slows down your web browser considerable.

The built-in smart screen filter (default on) helps protect you from visiting known malware sites. There is no need for them on Windows 7/IE8 with a reputable anti-virus product and Windows Firewall (included with Win7)

You should uninstall them from your computer, even though you are currently using IE8, sooner or later you will want to update to IE9 or 10 and may forget about the lists.....

Regards.

Rob^_^ wang'you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I do not have any of the three A/V programs you mention.

I have MSE as my real time.

I have Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware as on demand scanners.  And also SpywareBlaster. 

It appears it is SpywareBlaster which populates Restricted Sites.  That is how it functions.  I believe SpywareBlaster is recognized as a good tool and it is recommended by many reputable sites.  I had never read or heard about it causing conflicts.  But it did with *.doubeclick.net .

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_other/an-add-on-for-this-website-failed-to-run-check-the/2c0aaa32-4c4d-4bed-8528-350c70612450

And I wonder if it is somehow causing my Unknown Zone (Mixed) issue.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_7/unknown-zone-mixed-and-other-issues/0e100ad1-1bca-4db1-b2c1-de5cecd8cb49

Is it needed?  Or is there any built in tool in IE8 that would accomplish the same thing?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 24, 2020 Views 368 Applies to:

Related Forums